Like Douglas Hofstadter’s seminal Gödel, Escher, Bach and Powers’ own best- known work, The Gold Bug Variations, the latest novel from the MacArthur Fellowship-winning author examines the repeating patterns underlying both music and science. Peter Els is a retired university professor and composer who spends his free time looking for symphonies on the cellular level in his home microbiology lab. But when his own patterns end up putting him on the radar of Homeland Security, he becomes an unexpected fugitive. Powers’ writing is complex and heady without being headachy, and his synesthetic descriptions of finding melodies in the mundane are full of their own kind of music. A-
OrfeoLike Douglas Hofstadter's seminal Gödel, Escher, Bach and Powers' own best- known work, The Gold Bug Variations,...OrfeoRichard PowersLike Douglas Hofstadter's seminal Gödel, Escher, Bach and Powers' own best- known work, The Gold Bug Variations,...2014-01-22W. W. Norton & Company
ORFEO Richard Powers
Author: Richard Powers; Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Posted January 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- Despite polarizing season 2, HBO still interested in more 'True Detective'
- Box office preview: 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation,' 'Vacation'
- HBO says Game of Thrones will be at least eight seasons
- 'Feast' director Patrick Osborne to direct 'Battling Boy' adaptation
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!