Like Douglas Hofstadter’s seminal Gödel, Escher, Bach and Powers’ own best- known work, The Gold Bug Variations, the latest novel from the MacArthur Fellowship-winning author examines the repeating patterns underlying both music and science. Peter Els is a retired university professor and composer who spends his free time looking for symphonies on the cellular level in his home microbiology lab. But when his own patterns end up putting him on the radar of Homeland Security, he becomes an unexpected fugitive. Powers’ writing is complex and heady without being headachy, and his synesthetic descriptions of finding melodies in the mundane are full of their own kind of music. A-
OrfeoLike Douglas Hofstadter's seminal Gödel, Escher, Bach and Powers' own best- known work, The Gold Bug Variations,...OrfeoRichard PowersLike Douglas Hofstadter's seminal Gödel, Escher, Bach and Powers' own best- known work, The Gold Bug Variations,...2014-01-22W. W. Norton & Company
ORFEO Richard Powers
Author: Richard Powers; Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' merge exclusive sneak peek
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!