Like Douglas Hofstadter’s seminal Gödel, Escher, Bach and Powers’ own best- known work, The Gold Bug Variations, the latest novel from the MacArthur Fellowship-winning author examines the repeating patterns underlying both music and science. Peter Els is a retired university professor and composer who spends his free time looking for symphonies on the cellular level in his home microbiology lab. But when his own patterns end up putting him on the radar of Homeland Security, he becomes an unexpected fugitive. Powers’ writing is complex and heady without being headachy, and his synesthetic descriptions of finding melodies in the mundane are full of their own kind of music. A-
OrfeoLike Douglas Hofstadter's seminal Gödel, Escher, Bach and Powers' own best- known work, The Gold Bug Variations,...OrfeoRichard PowersLike Douglas Hofstadter's seminal Gödel, Escher, Bach and Powers' own best- known work, The Gold Bug Variations,...2014-01-22W. W. Norton & Company
ORFEO Richard Powers
Author: Richard Powers; Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Posted January 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!