Even before it became a freshman course in shot-glass toasts and hot-tub three-ways, MTV’s The Real World was never all that real. Since it debuted in 1992, it’s been a fascinating look at performance, with the roommates choosing the roles they’ll play: the bumpkin who’s never had black friends, the party girl who’s always crying, the brah with anger-management issues. Back when people were arguing about privacy and the Internet, that all felt prescient. But more than 20 years later, that ”realness” isn’t just fake — it’s a performance of a performance. The kids on Ex-Plosion seem to have cast themselves as even-more-over-the-top versions of the usual ”characters”: Take Jay, the naive white kid who wants to touch a black woman’s hair for the first time, or Ashley M., the wild child who gets blitzed and threatens to leave the house in the first episode. The series looks like a bad imitation of the reality TV it’s spawned. In fact, the premise comes straight from Big Brother 4: The roomies are forced to live with their exes, which might be the only surprise in a season with two personal trainers, multiple love triangles, and at least one scene where a curvy blonde professes, ”Oh my God, it just got really real.” Reduced to their base elements — hookups and fights — episodes of Real World have become indistinguishable from the supercuts MTV uses to promote them. It’s only a matter of time before the network premieres Real World: Facepuncher. D
REAL RECOGNIZES REAL and this world is looking explosively unfamiliar (MTV)
Genre: Reality TV; Series Premiere: 01/08/2014; Broadcaster: MTV; Status: In Season
Posted January 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!