Even before it became a freshman course in shot-glass toasts and hot-tub three-ways, MTV’s The Real World was never all that real. Since it debuted in 1992, it’s been a fascinating look at performance, with the roommates choosing the roles they’ll play: the bumpkin who’s never had black friends, the party girl who’s always crying, the brah with anger-management issues. Back when people were arguing about privacy and the Internet, that all felt prescient. But more than 20 years later, that ”realness” isn’t just fake — it’s a performance of a performance. The kids on Ex-Plosion seem to have cast themselves as even-more-over-the-top versions of the usual ”characters”: Take Jay, the naive white kid who wants to touch a black woman’s hair for the first time, or Ashley M., the wild child who gets blitzed and threatens to leave the house in the first episode. The series looks like a bad imitation of the reality TV it’s spawned. In fact, the premise comes straight from Big Brother 4: The roomies are forced to live with their exes, which might be the only surprise in a season with two personal trainers, multiple love triangles, and at least one scene where a curvy blonde professes, ”Oh my God, it just got really real.” Reduced to their base elements — hookups and fights — episodes of Real World have become indistinguishable from the supercuts MTV uses to promote them. It’s only a matter of time before the network premieres Real World: Facepuncher. D
Real World: Ex-PlosionEven before it became a freshman course in shot-glass toasts and hot-tub three-ways, MTV's The Real World was never all that real. Since...Real World: Ex-PlosionReality TVEven before it became a freshman course in shot-glass toasts and hot-tub three-ways, MTV's The Real World was never all that real. Since...2014-01-22
REAL RECOGNIZES REAL and this world is looking explosively unfamiliar (MTV)
Genre: Reality TV; Broadcaster: MTV
Posted January 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chris Pratt on being a sex symbol: 'Before, I was the sweaty guy who didn't give a s---'
- Munich Film Festival to honor Alexander Payne with retrospective
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!