Crime writing may be the supermarket-checkout stepchild to ”real” literature, but it’s still a serious craft — one that Allende, alas, hasn’t mastered. The descriptive gifts that serve the Chilean-bred author so well in her lyrical memoirs and historical novels largely abandon her here: The characters in The Ripper’s San Francisco serial-killer tale, including a kooky aromatherapist and her teen daughter, an aging playboy, and a gruff Navy SEAL, are exhaustively curlicued and speak in awkward exposition. The book’s prose is marbled where it should be lean, and the big reveal comes far too late for us to care. C-
The RipperCrime writing may be the supermarket-checkout stepchild to ''real'' literature, but it's still a serious craft — one that Allende, alas, hasn't...The RipperThrillerIsabel AllendeCrime writing may be the supermarket-checkout stepchild to ''real'' literature, but it's still a serious craft — one that Allende, alas, hasn't...2014-01-22HarperCollins
THE RIPPER Isabel Allende
Genre: Thriller; Author: Isabel Allende; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted January 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!