Is this finally Kevin Hart’s moment? The high-pitched, high-strung comedian with the manic motormouth delivery has been killing it as a stand-up for a while now, but despite a long résumé of TV and film roles, he still hasn’t found that elusive crossover hit. His new comedy, Ride Along, could do the trick, but it might’ve helped if it were a smarter, funnier movie. Hart plays an Atlanta security guard about to propose to his girlfriend (Tika Sumpter). Before he does, though, he needs the blessing of her intimidating cop brother (Ice Cube), who ropes him into being his patrol partner for a day to prove his worthiness. Ride Along is a generic slapdash odd-couple flick — the fast-talking pip-squeak vs. the fearsome pit bull. Still, Hart’s exasperated dervish shtick has moments of real live-wire anarchy, including one priceless gag at a firing range. Will it be enough to make Hart a household name? Maybe. But both he and his fans deserve better. C+
RIDE ON PASTDespite a few high moments Ride Along largely misses the mark. (Universal)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kevin Hart, Ice Cube, John Leguizamo; Director: Tim Story; Release Date Wide: 01/17/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal Pictures
Posted January 27 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!