Is this finally Kevin Hart’s moment? The high-pitched, high-strung comedian with the manic motormouth delivery has been killing it as a stand-up for a while now, but despite a long résumé of TV and film roles, he still hasn’t found that elusive crossover hit. His new comedy, Ride Along, could do the trick, but it might’ve helped if it were a smarter, funnier movie. Hart plays an Atlanta security guard about to propose to his girlfriend (Tika Sumpter). Before he does, though, he needs the blessing of her intimidating cop brother (Ice Cube), who ropes him into being his patrol partner for a day to prove his worthiness. Ride Along is a generic slapdash odd-couple flick — the fast-talking pip-squeak vs. the fearsome pit bull. Still, Hart’s exasperated dervish shtick has moments of real live-wire anarchy, including one priceless gag at a firing range. Will it be enough to make Hart a household name? Maybe. But both he and his fans deserve better. C+
RIDE ON PASTDespite a few high moments Ride Along largely misses the mark. (Universal)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kevin Hart, Ice Cube, John Leguizamo; Director: Tim Story; Release Date Wide: 01/17/2014; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal Pictures
Posted January 27 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'
- NBC's 'The Wiz Live!' finds its Cowardly Lion
- ABC's 'Scandal' team on how they'd handle Donald Trump
- Lenny Kravitz breaks silence on #penisgate with text from Steven Tyler
- A 'Lion King' animator drew a perfect tribute to Cecil the lion