Is this finally Kevin Hart’s moment? The high-pitched, high-strung comedian with the manic motormouth delivery has been killing it as a stand-up for a while now, but despite a long résumé of TV and film roles, he still hasn’t found that elusive crossover hit. His new comedy, Ride Along, could do the trick, but it might’ve helped if it were a smarter, funnier movie. Hart plays an Atlanta security guard about to propose to his girlfriend (Tika Sumpter). Before he does, though, he needs the blessing of her intimidating cop brother (Ice Cube), who ropes him into being his patrol partner for a day to prove his worthiness. Ride Along is a generic slapdash odd-couple flick — the fast-talking pip-squeak vs. the fearsome pit bull. Still, Hart’s exasperated dervish shtick has moments of real live-wire anarchy, including one priceless gag at a firing range. Will it be enough to make Hart a household name? Maybe. But both he and his fans deserve better. C+
RIDE ON PASTDespite a few high moments Ride Along largely misses the mark. (Universal)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kevin Hart, Ice Cube, John Leguizamo; Director: Tim Story; Release Date Wide: 01/17/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal Pictures
Posted January 27 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- What Derek Hough thinks of new 'DWTS' partner Bindi Irwin
- See the most popular passages from every single 'Outlander' book
- Yo La Tengo on making a sequel to their revered album 'Fakebook'
- Netflix's 'Lady Dynamite' adds Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman to guest cast
- See exclusive new art from 'The Angry Birds Movie'
- Heavy metal meets demonic mayhem in 'Deathgasm' trailer
- 'Star Wars Battlefront' beta arriving in October
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!