If your 14-year-old daughter asked if she could sail around the world by herself, what would you say? Unless you’re insane, you’d say no. But Dutch teen Laura Dekker’s parents didn’t. They even went to court to defend their decision. Unfortunately, that’s a more interesting story than the one Jillian Schlesinger’s documentary tells. A video-diary chronicle of the young Keira Knightley look-alike’s solo adventure on the high seas, Maidentrip is full of sunsets and dolphins but short on introspection and drama. The problem is that Dekker’s voyage, although impressive, isn’t the high-wire feat you’d expect. She makes several stops along the way, including fun-filled family frolics in Saint Martin and the Galápagos Islands. Yes, it’s technically a solo circumnavigation, but still. After 519 days at sea, Dekker finally achieves her goal…and decides to keep sailing, only this time with a hunky boy as her mate. If I were her parents, I wouldn’t have signed off on that, either. B-
STRAIGHT TRIPPING Maidentrip has bright promise but fails to impress with the possible gravitas of the achievement.
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Laura Dekker; Director: Jillian Schlesinger; Release Date Limited: 01/17/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Ro*Co Films
Posted January 31 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Patton Oswalt shares touching words from daughter after wife’s death
- Aretha Franklin performs 'Purple Rain' on International Jazz Day
- 'Penny Dreadful' season 3 sneak peek teases 'a terrible end'
- 'Captain America: Civil War' opens to $200 million internationally
- WATCH: Taylor John Smith on his 'Cruel Intentions' reboot audition
- Mads Mikkelsen says he wants to return for more 'Hannibal'
- See Kerry Washington, Kendall Jenner, and more celebs at the WHCD
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch