If your 14-year-old daughter asked if she could sail around the world by herself, what would you say? Unless you’re insane, you’d say no. But Dutch teen Laura Dekker’s parents didn’t. They even went to court to defend their decision. Unfortunately, that’s a more interesting story than the one Jillian Schlesinger’s documentary tells. A video-diary chronicle of the young Keira Knightley look-alike’s solo adventure on the high seas, Maidentrip is full of sunsets and dolphins but short on introspection and drama. The problem is that Dekker’s voyage, although impressive, isn’t the high-wire feat you’d expect. She makes several stops along the way, including fun-filled family frolics in Saint Martin and the Galápagos Islands. Yes, it’s technically a solo circumnavigation, but still. After 519 days at sea, Dekker finally achieves her goal…and decides to keep sailing, only this time with a hunky boy as her mate. If I were her parents, I wouldn’t have signed off on that, either. B-
STRAIGHT TRIPPING Maidentrip has bright promise but fails to impress with the possible gravitas of the achievement.
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Laura Dekker; Director: Jillian Schlesinger; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Ro*Co Films
Posted January 31 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!