If your 14-year-old daughter asked if she could sail around the world by herself, what would you say? Unless you’re insane, you’d say no. But Dutch teen Laura Dekker’s parents didn’t. They even went to court to defend their decision. Unfortunately, that’s a more interesting story than the one Jillian Schlesinger’s documentary tells. A video-diary chronicle of the young Keira Knightley look-alike’s solo adventure on the high seas, Maidentrip is full of sunsets and dolphins but short on introspection and drama. The problem is that Dekker’s voyage, although impressive, isn’t the high-wire feat you’d expect. She makes several stops along the way, including fun-filled family frolics in Saint Martin and the Galápagos Islands. Yes, it’s technically a solo circumnavigation, but still. After 519 days at sea, Dekker finally achieves her goal…and decides to keep sailing, only this time with a hunky boy as her mate. If I were her parents, I wouldn’t have signed off on that, either. B-
STRAIGHT TRIPPING Maidentrip has bright promise but fails to impress with the possible gravitas of the achievement.
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Laura Dekker; Director: Jillian Schlesinger; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Ro*Co Films
Posted January 31 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on that killer finale and what's next
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!