If your 14-year-old daughter asked if she could sail around the world by herself, what would you say? Unless you’re insane, you’d say no. But Dutch teen Laura Dekker’s parents didn’t. They even went to court to defend their decision. Unfortunately, that’s a more interesting story than the one Jillian Schlesinger’s documentary tells. A video-diary chronicle of the young Keira Knightley look-alike’s solo adventure on the high seas, Maidentrip is full of sunsets and dolphins but short on introspection and drama. The problem is that Dekker’s voyage, although impressive, isn’t the high-wire feat you’d expect. She makes several stops along the way, including fun-filled family frolics in Saint Martin and the Galápagos Islands. Yes, it’s technically a solo circumnavigation, but still. After 519 days at sea, Dekker finally achieves her goal…and decides to keep sailing, only this time with a hunky boy as her mate. If I were her parents, I wouldn’t have signed off on that, either. B-
STRAIGHT TRIPPING Maidentrip has bright promise but fails to impress with the possible gravitas of the achievement.
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Laura Dekker; Director: Jillian Schlesinger; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Ro*Co Films
Posted January 31 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Who should play the young Han Solo in the 'Star Wars' spinoff? Vote now!
- Elodie Yung cast as Elektra in 'Daredevil' season 2
- Two more networks pull Bill Cosby reruns
- Subway drops Jared Fogle amid FBI investigation
- Grateful Dead's farewell shows earned estimated $55 million
- Go inside the studio with Janet Jackson in her lyric video for 'No Sleeep'
- Paula Deen fires social media manager responsible for offensive tweet
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!