If your 14-year-old daughter asked if she could sail around the world by herself, what would you say? Unless you’re insane, you’d say no. But Dutch teen Laura Dekker’s parents didn’t. They even went to court to defend their decision. Unfortunately, that’s a more interesting story than the one Jillian Schlesinger’s documentary tells. A video-diary chronicle of the young Keira Knightley look-alike’s solo adventure on the high seas, Maidentrip is full of sunsets and dolphins but short on introspection and drama. The problem is that Dekker’s voyage, although impressive, isn’t the high-wire feat you’d expect. She makes several stops along the way, including fun-filled family frolics in Saint Martin and the Galápagos Islands. Yes, it’s technically a solo circumnavigation, but still. After 519 days at sea, Dekker finally achieves her goal…and decides to keep sailing, only this time with a hunky boy as her mate. If I were her parents, I wouldn’t have signed off on that, either. B-
STRAIGHT TRIPPING Maidentrip has bright promise but fails to impress with the possible gravitas of the achievement.
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Laura Dekker; Director: Jillian Schlesinger; Release Date Limited: 01/17/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Ro*Co Films
Posted January 31 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!