If you put all the books about F. Scott Fitzgerald in a stack, the resulting tower would be — apologies for the scientific jargon — really, really tall. In fact, it would almost certainly fall over. So it takes a bold writer to try tossing another one on the pile — and here comes one now! Sarah Churchwell’s Careless People concerns the writing of The Great Gatsby and the cultural and societal forces that inspired its superdrunk author. The book’s an unusual mix of criticism, biography, and true crime, all of it bound together by Churchwell’s lyrical prose and, frankly, the sheer force of her will. Not everything is new here (how could it be?), but it’s an evocative read. It belongs on the tower, even if somebody else’s book has to come off. A-
Careless PeopleIf you put all the books about F. Scott Fitzgerald in a stack, the resulting tower would be — apologies for the scientific jargon — really,...Careless PeopleNonfictionSarah ChurchwellIf you put all the books about F. Scott Fitzgerald in a stack, the resulting tower would be — apologies for the scientific jargon — really,...2014-02-05The Penguin Press
CARELESS PEOPLE Sarah Churchwell
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Sarah Churchwell; Publisher: The Penguin Press
Posted February 5 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Michael B. Jordan may bare his fangs in MGM's 'Blood Brothers'
- Aaron Tveit, Daniel Sunjata sum up 'Graceland' in 30 seconds
- 'Hannibal' boss previews series finale, considers cannibalism
- 'Suicide Squad' wrap photo is like a 'Where's Waldo?'
- Lionsgate planning movie based on 'Borderlands' video game
- What it was like inside Lady Gaga's blood-red 'American Horror Story' pool party
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Blacklist,' 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'The Flash' and more
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!