Offill somehow manages to pack the sprawling story of an ordinary marriage, both the good bits and the bad — courtship, arguments, colicky baby, lice, affairs, bedbugs — into a small, poetic book. Rendered entirely in a series of staccato vignettes, Dept. of Speculation is told from the point of view of the bookish, funny wife. She quotes Dickinson, Kafka, and Yeats and likes to draw quirky historical comparisons — ancient tribal cultures, doomed Russian cosmonauts — with her domestic life as, over the years, her dreams and ambitions slowly erode. Lying down and exhausted by her screaming infant daughter, she describes a sleep-deprivation study about cats, then mutters, ”If I knew telekinesis, I would send this spoon over to feed that baby.” Yes, there’s joylessness here, but there’s also real joy. A-
Dept. of SpeculationOffill somehow manages to pack the sprawling story of an ordinary marriage, both the good bits and the bad — courtship, arguments, colicky baby,...Dept. of SpeculationFictionJenny OffillOffill somehow manages to pack the sprawling story of an ordinary marriage, both the good bits and the bad — courtship, arguments, colicky baby,...2014-02-07Knopf
DEPT. OF SPECULATION Jenny Offill
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jenny Offill; Publisher: Knopf
Posted February 7 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: Patricia Arquette to voice witch in Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!