Tim’s Vermeer is an exquisitely fun documentary that hits on a profound aesthetic question, one first posed in 2001 by David Hockney: Did the 17th-century Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer use optical devices to achieve his visual poetics of light? Tim Jenison, a San Antonio video engineer, grows obsessed with knowing the answer. And so, in Penn and Teller’s sly magic act of a movie (Penn narrates, Teller directs), Jenison attempts to re-create Vermeer’s 1662 masterpiece The Music Lesson. He builds, by hand, almost every object in the painting (floor tile, carved harpsichord), and that’s before he gets to the herculean task of using a homemade camera obscura and mirror to fill in what is basically the ultimate paint-by-numbers diagram. (How madly meticulous is the work? Jenison paints the stitching of the tablecloth.) And damned if he doesn’t reveal the secret science of how Vermeer pulled it off. But does all this render Vermeer’s art inferior to what we thought it was? On the contrary: Unmasking art history’s greatest trick only adds to its wonder. A
NOT SO TINY TIM Tim's Vermeer is an enthralling documentary that follows a man attempting to recreate the works and process of Johannes Vermeer. (Natalie Jenison)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Teller; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted February 11 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!