Tim’s Vermeer is an exquisitely fun documentary that hits on a profound aesthetic question, one first posed in 2001 by David Hockney: Did the 17th-century Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer use optical devices to achieve his visual poetics of light? Tim Jenison, a San Antonio video engineer, grows obsessed with knowing the answer. And so, in Penn and Teller’s sly magic act of a movie (Penn narrates, Teller directs), Jenison attempts to re-create Vermeer’s 1662 masterpiece The Music Lesson. He builds, by hand, almost every object in the painting (floor tile, carved harpsichord), and that’s before he gets to the herculean task of using a homemade camera obscura and mirror to fill in what is basically the ultimate paint-by-numbers diagram. (How madly meticulous is the work? Jenison paints the stitching of the tablecloth.) And damned if he doesn’t reveal the secret science of how Vermeer pulled it off. But does all this render Vermeer’s art inferior to what we thought it was? On the contrary: Unmasking art history’s greatest trick only adds to its wonder. A
NOT SO TINY TIM Tim's Vermeer is an enthralling documentary that follows a man attempting to recreate the works and process of Johannes Vermeer. (Natalie Jenison)
Genre: Documentary; Director: Teller; Release Date Limited: 12/06/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted February 11 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- See T-Pain sing the national anthem at a Dodgers game
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!