Ever watched Sex and the City and thought, “Wouldn’t this be better if they were guys?” Probably not. But That Awkward Moment, a new bromantic comedy, gives us a glimpse at what that would be like — and the result is a decidedly mixed (though well-dressed) bag. The plot centers on three hot-blooded twentysomethings: Studly book cover designer Jason (Zac Efron), his snarky pal Daniel (Miles Teller), and their doctor buddy Mikey (Michael B. Jordan). When Mikey’s marriage sours, the friends make a pact to steer clear of relationships despite the throngs of lovely-and-willing young ladies threatening to snag their hearts. Romantic entanglements follow, but the story is just an excuse for a bit of anthropological espionage: a supposed peek at the secret life of the urban American heterosexual male. But on that level, That Awkward Moment underperforms. The movie’s ideas about relationships would’ve felt middle-of-the-road in the ’80s, and its big epiphany moments (Guys can fall in love, too!) are shallow enough to make you long for the comparatively profound rom-com oeuvre of Kate Hudson. Luckily, the three lead actors are plenty charismatic — so much so that you wish they weren’t stuck in such a conventional, unambitious movie. But sit tight through the end credits and you’ll be treated to a few off-the-cuff outtakes of the guys doing things much funnier than anything in the film itself. C+
THAT AWKWARD MOMENT Zac Efron, Michael B. Jordan, and Miles Teller
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Zac Efron, Michael B. Jordan, Miles Teller; Director: Tom Gormicon; Release Date Wide: 01/31/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted February 12 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Michael Fassbender rises to power in new 'Macbeth' trailer
- Janet Jackson kicks off world tour with new song featuring Missy Elliott
- Alison Mosshart details the Dead Weather's new album
- J.K. Rowling wishes James Sirius Potter a happy first day at Hogwarts
- Robert Pattinson & Dane DeHaan recreate James Dean's famous photo
- Jimmy Kimmel breaks down the Miley Cyrus/Nicki Minaj confrontation using emojis
- New Bond author says Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!