Ever watched Sex and the City and thought, “Wouldn’t this be better if they were guys?” Probably not. But That Awkward Moment, a new bromantic comedy, gives us a glimpse at what that would be like — and the result is a decidedly mixed (though well-dressed) bag. The plot centers on three hot-blooded twentysomethings: Studly book cover designer Jason (Zac Efron), his snarky pal Daniel (Miles Teller), and their doctor buddy Mikey (Michael B. Jordan). When Mikey’s marriage sours, the friends make a pact to steer clear of relationships despite the throngs of lovely-and-willing young ladies threatening to snag their hearts. Romantic entanglements follow, but the story is just an excuse for a bit of anthropological espionage: a supposed peek at the secret life of the urban American heterosexual male. But on that level, That Awkward Moment underperforms. The movie’s ideas about relationships would’ve felt middle-of-the-road in the ’80s, and its big epiphany moments (Guys can fall in love, too!) are shallow enough to make you long for the comparatively profound rom-com oeuvre of Kate Hudson. Luckily, the three lead actors are plenty charismatic — so much so that you wish they weren’t stuck in such a conventional, unambitious movie. But sit tight through the end credits and you’ll be treated to a few off-the-cuff outtakes of the guys doing things much funnier than anything in the film itself. C+
THAT AWKWARD MOMENT Zac Efron, Michael B. Jordan, and Miles Teller
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Zac Efron, Michael B. Jordan, Miles Teller; Director: Tom Gormicon; Release Date Wide: 01/31/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Karen O honors journalist Nellie Bly with an original song
- Sam Smith cancels Tokyo, Manila tour dates
- Watch Vance Joy cover Taylor Swift's 'I Know Places'
- 'Scandal' sneak peek: How far will Olivia go to take down Rowan?
- Lauryn Hill cancels Israel show
- 'iZombie' exclusive clip: Liv tries to get Clive to open up about his love life
- The Strain: First season 2 trailer declares war on vamps
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!