Why do a remake of RoboCop that’s only half as good? The crackerjack satirical future-shock classic of 1987 centered on a hero who was hauntingly poised between being a Terminator cyborg and a soulful shard of his former human self. He was a real ghost in the machine. In the new RoboCop, Joel Kinnaman, cast because he’s as naturally steely as Peter Weller, sometimes plays RoboCop as the thinking, feeling family man he once was, and sometimes he’s pure shoot-‘em-up droid crime fighter — which can feel like the film trying to have it both ways. After Kinnaman’s Alex Murphy is nearly killed by thugs, he’s built into RoboCop as a marketing ploy: The CEO of OmniCorp (Michael Keaton) wants to sell robot law enforcers to the American people. The film has lots of energized mayhem, and Murphy’s unraveling of the conspiracy against him isn’t dumbed down, yet it’s as if the comic-book action poetry of the original has been encased in a suit of generic armor. B-
PEW PEW PEW! This remake is a poor generic retelling of a cult favorite. (Kerry Hayes)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Abbie Cornish, Michael Keaton, Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman; Director: Jose Padilha; Release Date Wide: 02/12/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Releasing
Posted February 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander stun in new 'Danish Girl' poster
- Get to know The Weeknd through his 9 best deep cuts
- Jimmy Kimmel censors Donald Trump on 'Unnecessary Censorship'
- Ranking Shania Twain's 37 singles in honor of her 50th birthday
- 'It Follows' director responds to Tarantino's criticism
- Kelly Clarkson covers Dolly Parton's 'Jolene'
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' cast reveals the players they are surprised got voted in
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!