Why do a remake of RoboCop that’s only half as good? The crackerjack satirical future-shock classic of 1987 centered on a hero who was hauntingly poised between being a Terminator cyborg and a soulful shard of his former human self. He was a real ghost in the machine. In the new RoboCop, Joel Kinnaman, cast because he’s as naturally steely as Peter Weller, sometimes plays RoboCop as the thinking, feeling family man he once was, and sometimes he’s pure shoot-‘em-up droid crime fighter — which can feel like the film trying to have it both ways. After Kinnaman’s Alex Murphy is nearly killed by thugs, he’s built into RoboCop as a marketing ploy: The CEO of OmniCorp (Michael Keaton) wants to sell robot law enforcers to the American people. The film has lots of energized mayhem, and Murphy’s unraveling of the conspiracy against him isn’t dumbed down, yet it’s as if the comic-book action poetry of the original has been encased in a suit of generic armor. B-
PEW PEW PEW! This remake is a poor generic retelling of a cult favorite. (Kerry Hayes)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Abbie Cornish, Michael Keaton, Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman; Director: Jose Padilha; Release Date Wide: 02/12/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Releasing
Posted February 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!