Why do a remake of RoboCop that’s only half as good? The crackerjack satirical future-shock classic of 1987 centered on a hero who was hauntingly poised between being a Terminator cyborg and a soulful shard of his former human self. He was a real ghost in the machine. In the new RoboCop, Joel Kinnaman, cast because he’s as naturally steely as Peter Weller, sometimes plays RoboCop as the thinking, feeling family man he once was, and sometimes he’s pure shoot-‘em-up droid crime fighter — which can feel like the film trying to have it both ways. After Kinnaman’s Alex Murphy is nearly killed by thugs, he’s built into RoboCop as a marketing ploy: The CEO of OmniCorp (Michael Keaton) wants to sell robot law enforcers to the American people. The film has lots of energized mayhem, and Murphy’s unraveling of the conspiracy against him isn’t dumbed down, yet it’s as if the comic-book action poetry of the original has been encased in a suit of generic armor. B-
PEW PEW PEW! This remake is a poor generic retelling of a cult favorite. (Kerry Hayes)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Abbie Cornish, Michael Keaton, Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman; Director: Jose Padilha; Release Date Wide: 02/12/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Releasing
Posted February 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bette Midler wants to play Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence’s mom
- El-P on 'Meow the Jewels': 'Let's fight injustice with pure, annoying stupidity'
- Demi Lovato, The Weeknd announced as 'SNL' musical guests
- ‘Concussion’ director: Film not ‘intended to take down the NFL’
- 'SNL' announces Miley Cyrus will be musical guest for season premiere
- There is no new novel in Harper Lee's deposit box, despite rumors
- Whedon fave on 'Bloodsucking Bastards' (and why he wants to be killed by Thor)
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Victoria Justice, Laura & Andrew, Rihanna and More!