Why do a remake of RoboCop that’s only half as good? The crackerjack satirical future-shock classic of 1987 centered on a hero who was hauntingly poised between being a Terminator cyborg and a soulful shard of his former human self. He was a real ghost in the machine. In the new RoboCop, Joel Kinnaman, cast because he’s as naturally steely as Peter Weller, sometimes plays RoboCop as the thinking, feeling family man he once was, and sometimes he’s pure shoot-‘em-up droid crime fighter — which can feel like the film trying to have it both ways. After Kinnaman’s Alex Murphy is nearly killed by thugs, he’s built into RoboCop as a marketing ploy: The CEO of OmniCorp (Michael Keaton) wants to sell robot law enforcers to the American people. The film has lots of energized mayhem, and Murphy’s unraveling of the conspiracy against him isn’t dumbed down, yet it’s as if the comic-book action poetry of the original has been encased in a suit of generic armor. B-
PEW PEW PEW! This remake is a poor generic retelling of a cult favorite. (Kerry Hayes)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Abbie Cornish, Michael Keaton, Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman; Director: Jose Padilha; Release Date Wide: 02/12/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Releasing
Posted February 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!