Based on the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the early-20th-century aeronautical engineer, the film is gorgeously animated as any of animation maestro Hayao Miyazaki’s previous movies (Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro) while trading in his more fantastical impulses for contemplative, old-fashioned drama and period detail. Miyazaki has said he was inspired to make Wind after reading this quote from Horikoshi: ”All I wanted to do was to make something beautiful.”
DID YOU EVER KNOW THAT YOU'RE MY HERO The Wind Rises is a brilliant tale inspired by engineer Jiro Horikoshi. (Disney)
Posted February 26 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!