Based on the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the early-20th-century aeronautical engineer, the film is gorgeously animated as any of animation maestro Hayao Miyazaki’s previous movies (Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro) while trading in his more fantastical impulses for contemplative, old-fashioned drama and period detail. Miyazaki has said he was inspired to make Wind after reading this quote from Horikoshi: ”All I wanted to do was to make something beautiful.”
DID YOU EVER KNOW THAT YOU'RE MY HERO The Wind Rises is a brilliant tale inspired by engineer Jiro Horikoshi. (Disney)
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!