The Parallel Apartments has a constellation of characters who are at once the truest and most unbelievable people you’ve ever met. Justine Moppet has fled New York for Austin, where she grew up. It’s a city that’s always ripe for misfits and oddballs, and in short order Justine encounters a prostitute with AIDS who’s seeking treatment from a shaman, a randy sexbot and his shopping-addicted madam, a crazed baby-stealer (or two), and an aspiring serial killer who faints at the sight of blood. Think of them as the novel’s minor planets. Standing at the center, like shining suns, are three generations of women, each shouldering the kind of regret that threatens to consume her. In telling their stories, Cotter manages to be surreal, gruesome, and snortingly funny. Do yourself a favor and give in to The Parallel Apartments’ gravitational pull. A-
The Parallel ApartmentsThe Parallel Apartments has a constellation of characters who are at once the truest and most unbelievable people you've ever met....The Parallel ApartmentsFictionBill CotterThe Parallel Apartments has a constellation of characters who are at once the truest and most unbelievable people you've ever met....2014-02-27
THE PARALLEL APARTMENTS Bill Cotter
Genre: Fiction; Author: Bill Cotter
Posted February 27 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...