The Parallel Apartments has a constellation of characters who are at once the truest and most unbelievable people you’ve ever met. Justine Moppet has fled New York for Austin, where she grew up. It’s a city that’s always ripe for misfits and oddballs, and in short order Justine encounters a prostitute with AIDS who’s seeking treatment from a shaman, a randy sexbot and his shopping-addicted madam, a crazed baby-stealer (or two), and an aspiring serial killer who faints at the sight of blood. Think of them as the novel’s minor planets. Standing at the center, like shining suns, are three generations of women, each shouldering the kind of regret that threatens to consume her. In telling their stories, Cotter manages to be surreal, gruesome, and snortingly funny. Do yourself a favor and give in to The Parallel Apartments’ gravitational pull. A-
The Parallel ApartmentsThe Parallel Apartments has a constellation of characters who are at once the truest and most unbelievable people you've ever met....The Parallel ApartmentsFictionBill CotterThe Parallel Apartments has a constellation of characters who are at once the truest and most unbelievable people you've ever met....2014-02-27
THE PARALLEL APARTMENTS Bill Cotter
Genre: Fiction; Author: Bill Cotter
Posted February 27 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!