Actors flocked to a drizzly, overcast Santa Monica beach on March 1 for the famously laid-back Film Independent Spirit Awards. Even in the rain, Shailene Woodley, a Best Female Lead nominee for The Spectacular Now, said the sandy event had some big advantages over the weekend’s other awards show. “I mean, right now I’m in flats,” she told EW, “and I’m looking at the ocean, and there’s positive ions floating through the air, and we’re all happy and smiling.” Host Patton Oswalt led the ceremony, whose winners mirrored the Oscar picks in all the major acting categories and the top prize, which went to 12 Years a Slave. Best Female Lead winner Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) took a moment to extol the virtues of indie films, telling EW that having a tight budget “forces you to think quickly and be creative.” At the end of the day, it was Dallas Buyers Club star Jared Leto who stole the show, dedicating his Best Supporting Male win to AIDS victims — while also thanking everyone from Mark Twain, David Bowie, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and C.S. Lewis to “my future ex-wife” (and fellow winner) Lupita Nyong’o.
Posted March 7 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jennifer Aniston confronts Vanessa Bayer over Rachel impression
- Donald Trump slams 'SNL' for sketch about his tweets
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer has lots of Baby Groot
- Netflix announces 'Sense8' Christmas special, season 2 premiere dates
- 'The Last of Us Part II' reveal trailer shows matured Ellie and Joel
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big