Kaysen, who famously recounted her time in a psychiatric ward in the best-selling 1993 memoir Girl, Interrupted, mines her young life once again — with diminishing returns. It’s not that she lacks material. The eldest daughter of a Harvard academic, she spent her childhood in a nicotine fugue of midcentury artists and intellectuals, boomeranging between the Massachusetts city of the title and her father’s exotic European postings. As a travel writer, Kaysen shines: Her descriptions of sunbaked Italian villas and the dank shortcomings of British plumbing come in Technicolor. As a memoirist, however (Cambridge’s jacket dubs it a ”novel-from-life”), she cul-de-sacs in needless minutiae and sour score-settling with her parents. Sometimes a girl, uninterrupted goes on too long. B
CambridgeKaysen, who famously recounted her time in a psychiatric ward in the best-selling 1993 memoir Girl, Interrupted, mines her young life once again ...CambridgeFictionSusanna KaysenKaysen, who famously recounted her time in a psychiatric ward in the best-selling 1993 memoir Girl, Interrupted, mines her young life once again ...2014-03-19Knopf
CAMBRIDGE Susanna Kaysen
Genre: Fiction; Author: Susanna Kaysen; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!