Kaysen, who famously recounted her time in a psychiatric ward in the best-selling 1993 memoir Girl, Interrupted, mines her young life once again — with diminishing returns. It’s not that she lacks material. The eldest daughter of a Harvard academic, she spent her childhood in a nicotine fugue of midcentury artists and intellectuals, boomeranging between the Massachusetts city of the title and her father’s exotic European postings. As a travel writer, Kaysen shines: Her descriptions of sunbaked Italian villas and the dank shortcomings of British plumbing come in Technicolor. As a memoirist, however (Cambridge’s jacket dubs it a ”novel-from-life”), she cul-de-sacs in needless minutiae and sour score-settling with her parents. Sometimes a girl, uninterrupted goes on too long. B
CambridgeKaysen, who famously recounted her time in a psychiatric ward in the best-selling 1993 memoir Girl, Interrupted, mines her young life once again ...CambridgeFictionSusanna KaysenKaysen, who famously recounted her time in a psychiatric ward in the best-selling 1993 memoir Girl, Interrupted, mines her young life once again ...2014-03-19Knopf
CAMBRIDGE Susanna Kaysen
Genre: Fiction; Author: Susanna Kaysen; Publisher: Knopf
Posted March 19 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized after he was found unconscious at brothel
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6