Something that has quickly skyrocketed to number one in the History of Good Ideas: the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys maybe joining forces for a reunion tour, according to MTV UK. If you are now screaming in your office cubicle, welcome to my life fifteen minutes ago. ZOMG, I would pay untold sums for a ticket to see the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys in concert. (Granted, I really wish I could rewind life and see them as they were ten years ago, but I’ll take what I can get.) We have not heard back from the bandmembers’ reps with a confirmation of this good news, but fingers crossed it’s true.
The current status of the bands don’t exactly scream reunion tour, but it’s not a definitive “no” either. The Backstreet Boys will be doing shows around North America this summer for their “In A World Like This” tour with Avril Lavigne listed as a special guest. Not to mention the Backstreet Boys Cruise, which sails from Miami to Half Moon Cay in October. (Yes, they absolutely wear sailor outfits.) The Spice Girls had their last group show at the London Olympics in 2012. After that performance, Victoria Beckham put the kibosh on any future performances in an interview with Vanity Fair Italy, saying the Olympics was the “perfect time to say, ‘That’s great. Thank you to everybody, but no more.’”
But let’s dream a little dream here and say they do go on a joint tour, what do we want to see at this show?
1. Synchronized dance moves. THE NUMBER ONE draw of a boy-band/girl-band performance are the synchronized dance moves.
2. A-Game, flashy, coordinated outfits. For the Spice Girls this means: fur, knee socks, Union Jacks and mini dresses. For Backstreet this means: parachute pants, man-tanks, XXL button-downs hanging open and unnecessary sunglasses.
3. A space-themed number to throw back to their heyday of the early millennium.
4. Harmonies and amazing throat noises.
5. A tear-jerker of a goodbye song.