It remains one of the great what-ifs in movie history. What if Alejandro Jodorowsky, the eccentric Chilean auteur behind such psychedelic midnight movies as El Topo and The Holy Mountain, had adapted Frank Herbert’s sci-fi novel Dune? We’ll never know, of course. But back in the mid-’70s, he crisscrossed the globe to assemble a team of creative visionaries for one of the most ambitious movies never made. Jodorowsky, who’d envisioned a film so sacred it would alter the world’s consciousness, was crushed. Adding insult, a few years later Dino De Laurentiis and David Lynch made their own Dune — a notorious flop. Which brings us back to…what if? That question hangs like a glorious riddle over Frank Pavich’s spellbinding documentary, Jodorowsky’s Dune, in which the 85-year-old (and still wild-eyed) director talks about the one that got away while we get testimonials about how influential Jodorowsky’s Dune was — paving the way for Star Wars and gathering many of the players who would later push the boundaries of the genre with 1979’s Alien. If you enjoy sci-fi, cult cinema, or messianic quests by quixotic lunatics, you will love this movie. A
EPIC DUNES This documentary chronicles Alejandro Jodorowsky's attempts to bring the novel Dune to the big screen.
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Alejandro Jodorwsky; Director: Frank Pavich; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!