It remains one of the great what-ifs in movie history. What if Alejandro Jodorowsky, the eccentric Chilean auteur behind such psychedelic midnight movies as El Topo and The Holy Mountain, had adapted Frank Herbert’s sci-fi novel Dune? We’ll never know, of course. But back in the mid-’70s, he crisscrossed the globe to assemble a team of creative visionaries for one of the most ambitious movies never made. Jodorowsky, who’d envisioned a film so sacred it would alter the world’s consciousness, was crushed. Adding insult, a few years later Dino De Laurentiis and David Lynch made their own Dune — a notorious flop. Which brings us back to…what if? That question hangs like a glorious riddle over Frank Pavich’s spellbinding documentary, Jodorowsky’s Dune, in which the 85-year-old (and still wild-eyed) director talks about the one that got away while we get testimonials about how influential Jodorowsky’s Dune was — paving the way for Star Wars and gathering many of the players who would later push the boundaries of the genre with 1979’s Alien. If you enjoy sci-fi, cult cinema, or messianic quests by quixotic lunatics, you will love this movie. A
EPIC DUNES This documentary chronicles Alejandro Jodorowsky's attempts to bring the novel Dune to the big screen.
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Alejandro Jodorwsky; Director: Frank Pavich; Release Date Limited: 03/21/2014; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 28 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Darren Criss & Aaron Tveit duet 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!