It remains one of the great what-ifs in movie history. What if Alejandro Jodorowsky, the eccentric Chilean auteur behind such psychedelic midnight movies as El Topo and The Holy Mountain, had adapted Frank Herbert’s sci-fi novel Dune? We’ll never know, of course. But back in the mid-’70s, he crisscrossed the globe to assemble a team of creative visionaries for one of the most ambitious movies never made. Jodorowsky, who’d envisioned a film so sacred it would alter the world’s consciousness, was crushed. Adding insult, a few years later Dino De Laurentiis and David Lynch made their own Dune — a notorious flop. Which brings us back to…what if? That question hangs like a glorious riddle over Frank Pavich’s spellbinding documentary, Jodorowsky’s Dune, in which the 85-year-old (and still wild-eyed) director talks about the one that got away while we get testimonials about how influential Jodorowsky’s Dune was — paving the way for Star Wars and gathering many of the players who would later push the boundaries of the genre with 1979’s Alien. If you enjoy sci-fi, cult cinema, or messianic quests by quixotic lunatics, you will love this movie. A
EPIC DUNES This documentary chronicles Alejandro Jodorowsky's attempts to bring the novel Dune to the big screen.
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Alejandro Jodorwsky; Director: Frank Pavich; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal season premiere
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!