In Cole’s outstanding debut, Open City, a young Nigerian man wanders around New York City, chronicling his observations. In Every Day Is for the Thief, another roaming Nigerian chronicles everything he sees — this time during a homecoming in Lagos after 13 years in the U.S. Through the eyes of his unnamed narrator, Cole evokes Nigeria — its vibrancy, its corruption, its contradictions. But without a character to root for, the descriptions lack emotional heft. Every Day Is for the Thief feels more like literary reportage than a novel. B
Every Day Is for the ThiefIn Cole's outstanding debut, Open City, a young Nigerian man wanders around New York City, chronicling his observations. In Every Day Is...Every Day Is for the ThiefFictionTeju ColeIn Cole's outstanding debut, Open City, a young Nigerian man wanders around New York City, chronicling his observations. In Every Day Is...2014-04-04Random House
EVERY DAY IS FOR THE THIEF Teju Cole
Genre: Fiction; Author: Teju Cole; Publisher: Random House
Posted April 4 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!