In Cole’s outstanding debut, Open City, a young Nigerian man wanders around New York City, chronicling his observations. In Every Day Is for the Thief, another roaming Nigerian chronicles everything he sees — this time during a homecoming in Lagos after 13 years in the U.S. Through the eyes of his unnamed narrator, Cole evokes Nigeria — its vibrancy, its corruption, its contradictions. But without a character to root for, the descriptions lack emotional heft. Every Day Is for the Thief feels more like literary reportage than a novel. B
Every Day Is for the ThiefIn Cole's outstanding debut, Open City, a young Nigerian man wanders around New York City, chronicling his observations. In Every Day Is...Every Day Is for the ThiefFictionTeju ColeIn Cole's outstanding debut, Open City, a young Nigerian man wanders around New York City, chronicling his observations. In Every Day Is...2014-04-04Random House
EVERY DAY IS FOR THE THIEF Teju Cole
Genre: Fiction; Author: Teju Cole; Publisher: Random House
Posted April 4 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- 'DWTS' is bringing back Maksim Chmerkovskiy: source
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...