The directorial debut of Wally Pfister, Christopher Nolan’s longtime cinematographer, Transcendence follows a computer scientist (Johnny Depp) who spends his time studying artificial intelligence. However, after Depp’s character is attacked by anti-technology activists, he’s uploaded into a mainframe, a.k.a. literally trapped inside a machine. Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy, and Rebecca Hall also star.
RISE OF THE MACHINES Morgan Freeman joins Johnny Depp in Wally Pfister's debut thriller about the point at which artificial intelligence surpasses human intelligence. (Peter Mountain)
Posted April 18 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Science fiction-thriller 'Arrival' to open Fantastic Fest
- 'Scrubs' vet John C. McGinley battles demons in 'Stan Against Evil'
- 'The Girl on the Train': Why Paula Hawkins didn't write the screenplay
- R.E.M. to reissue 'Out of Time' for 25th anniversary
- 'Stranger Things' star sings Amy Winehouse in throwback video
- Katy Perry sends sympathy to 'Catfish' victim: 'My heart goes out to him'
- Kate Beckinsale stars in exclusive 'The Disappointments Room' photos