For 12 years, De La Salle High School in Concord, Calif., never lost a football game. Then, in 2004, the record-breaking streak ended. When the Game Stands Tall, based on Neil Hayes’ nonfiction book, details how the Spartans fought their way back: by learning to love the game more than the win. Jim Caviezel plays the head coach, Bob Ladouceur; Laura Dern, his wife. ”I encouraged [the cast] to talk to their counterparts,” says director Thomas Carter (Swing Kids), who cast The Shield’s Michael Chiklis as assistant coach Terry Edison. ”Michael was thrilled when Terry came on set. He would go up to Terry, asking him how he would say a line.” Even acting takes teamwork.
Posted April 21 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- And the final 'Bachelor in Paradise' contestant is ...
- 'Disney Infinity 3.0' developer discusses bringing iconic 'Star Wars' characters to the franchise
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' showrunner promises 'psychological tension'
- The next generation of male pop stars, from Harry Styles to The Weeknd
- The slow, curious fade of the male pop star
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell talks return to Nickelodeon this fall in 'Game Shakers'
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!