Yo-ho-ho and some Colombian bud. At the height of the 1980s’ war on drugs, the scoundrels who defied Reagan by smuggling in tons of pot viewed themselves as latter-day pirates who lived by their own code of ethics and, apparently, the lyrics of Jimmy Buffett songs. Four years ago, journalist Tony Dokoupil tracked down one of the era’s most infamous outlaws: his own father. Big Tony was a reefer legend before he squandered millions on addictions and hookers and abandoned his family. Yet the author can’t help but romanticize his dad’s exploits — which include, among other things, a Walter White-like buried treasure — even as he wrestles with his own painful childhood. One day he’s classmates with the Bush grandchildren; the next, he’s dirt-poor, living under the cloud of being a drug dealer’s kid. Though Dokoupil concludes that he lost his father not to drugs or addiction but to ambition, he also admits, ”I am a son, and a son sees what he needs to see.” Readers might be less ambivalent, but they can at least get a contact high from the golden age of pot. B
The Last PirateYo-ho-ho and some Colombian bud. At the height of the 1980s' war on drugs, the scoundrels who defied Reagan by smuggling in tons of pot viewed themselves...The Last PirateMemoirTony DokoupilYo-ho-ho and some Colombian bud. At the height of the 1980s' war on drugs, the scoundrels who defied Reagan by smuggling in tons of pot viewed themselves...2014-04-23Doubleday
THE LAST PIRATE Tony Dokoupil
Genre: Memoir; Author: Tony Dokoupil; Publisher: Doubleday
Posted April 23 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- Emily Ratajkowski is over 'Blurred Lines': 'It's the bane of my existence'
- Janet Jackson shares powerful new single, 'Unbreakable'
- ESPN extends Curt Schilling's suspension through MLB season
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!