Yo-ho-ho and some Colombian bud. At the height of the 1980s’ war on drugs, the scoundrels who defied Reagan by smuggling in tons of pot viewed themselves as latter-day pirates who lived by their own code of ethics and, apparently, the lyrics of Jimmy Buffett songs. Four years ago, journalist Tony Dokoupil tracked down one of the era’s most infamous outlaws: his own father. Big Tony was a reefer legend before he squandered millions on addictions and hookers and abandoned his family. Yet the author can’t help but romanticize his dad’s exploits — which include, among other things, a Walter White-like buried treasure — even as he wrestles with his own painful childhood. One day he’s classmates with the Bush grandchildren; the next, he’s dirt-poor, living under the cloud of being a drug dealer’s kid. Though Dokoupil concludes that he lost his father not to drugs or addiction but to ambition, he also admits, ”I am a son, and a son sees what he needs to see.” Readers might be less ambivalent, but they can at least get a contact high from the golden age of pot. B
The Last PirateYo-ho-ho and some Colombian bud. At the height of the 1980s' war on drugs, the scoundrels who defied Reagan by smuggling in tons of pot viewed themselves...The Last PirateMemoirTony DokoupilYo-ho-ho and some Colombian bud. At the height of the 1980s' war on drugs, the scoundrels who defied Reagan by smuggling in tons of pot viewed themselves...2014-04-23Doubleday
THE LAST PIRATE Tony Dokoupil
Genre: Memoir; Author: Tony Dokoupil; Publisher: Doubleday
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!