Duh-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Gotham! Fox is bringing Gotham City back to the small screen this fall, offering a gritty portrayal of a once glorious American metropolis beset by crime. Who will stop the increasingly bold gangs of evildoers roaming the streets? Well, since Gotham’s version of Bruce Wayne hasn’t even finished junior high yet, it’s up to the idealistic and gadget-free Det. Jim Gordon (Southland’s Ben McKenzie), whom we first meet in the show’s pilot defusing a hostage crisis inside the Gotham PD bull pen. ”He’s the last honest man in a city full of crooked people,” explains McKenzie during a break in shooting. ”He’s going to make wrong decisions and trust the wrong people, and he has no out. He can’t put on a cape and fly off.” (Of course, the character will go on to become Commissioner Gordon, Batman’s defender within the police department and wielder of the Bat-Signal.) The actor recalls his first day on the set, sitting behind the wheel of a 1970s-era Chrysler for a simple driving scene and thinking: ”This is crazy! What am I doing? I’ll never be able to pull this off.”
Gotham starring Ben McKenzie (Jessica Miglio/Fox)
Posted May 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Sanaa Lathan to headline Fox event series about a police shooting
- 'Twilight' vs. 'Life and Death': A sexy vampire glossary
- 'We Are Still Here': How they created the year's creepiest ghosts
- 'Grandfathered' snags 'Agent Carter' star as love interest
- Jared Leto stayed in character on 'Suicide Squad' set
- New Cosby accuser files lawsuit: 'It is my hope that he will in fact face justice'
- Nina Dobrev explains why she's the scariest cast member in 'The Final Girls'