Duh-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Gotham! Fox is bringing Gotham City back to the small screen this fall, offering a gritty portrayal of a once glorious American metropolis beset by crime. Who will stop the increasingly bold gangs of evildoers roaming the streets? Well, since Gotham’s version of Bruce Wayne hasn’t even finished junior high yet, it’s up to the idealistic and gadget-free Det. Jim Gordon (Southland’s Ben McKenzie), whom we first meet in the show’s pilot defusing a hostage crisis inside the Gotham PD bull pen. ”He’s the last honest man in a city full of crooked people,” explains McKenzie during a break in shooting. ”He’s going to make wrong decisions and trust the wrong people, and he has no out. He can’t put on a cape and fly off.” (Of course, the character will go on to become Commissioner Gordon, Batman’s defender within the police department and wielder of the Bat-Signal.) The actor recalls his first day on the set, sitting behind the wheel of a 1970s-era Chrysler for a simple driving scene and thinking: ”This is crazy! What am I doing? I’ll never be able to pull this off.”
Gotham starring Ben McKenzie (Jessica Miglio/Fox)
Posted May 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!