Duh-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Gotham! Fox is bringing Gotham City back to the small screen this fall, offering a gritty portrayal of a once glorious American metropolis beset by crime. Who will stop the increasingly bold gangs of evildoers roaming the streets? Well, since Gotham’s version of Bruce Wayne hasn’t even finished junior high yet, it’s up to the idealistic and gadget-free Det. Jim Gordon (Southland’s Ben McKenzie), whom we first meet in the show’s pilot defusing a hostage crisis inside the Gotham PD bull pen. ”He’s the last honest man in a city full of crooked people,” explains McKenzie during a break in shooting. ”He’s going to make wrong decisions and trust the wrong people, and he has no out. He can’t put on a cape and fly off.” (Of course, the character will go on to become Commissioner Gordon, Batman’s defender within the police department and wielder of the Bat-Signal.) The actor recalls his first day on the set, sitting behind the wheel of a 1970s-era Chrysler for a simple driving scene and thinking: ”This is crazy! What am I doing? I’ll never be able to pull this off.”
Gotham starring Ben McKenzie (Jessica Miglio/Fox)
Posted May 22 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer previews 'Scream Queens'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!