Don’t let a bubble-gum-hued book jacket littered with ashy cigarette butts, an upended wine glass, and smeared wedding cake (not to mention the cover line ”The Occasional Mortifications of a Serial Wedding Guest”) fool you — this is not My Horizontal Life: A Collection of Wedding Crashers. Sure, these nuptial-themed essays by Jen Doll boast a booze-fueled freak-out or two, but Save the Date is much less a high-jinks-laden chronicle than a meditation on the marriage ceremony and on how, by bearing witness, we shape our perspectives on love, friendship, and commitment. What Save the Date lacks in rollicking fun it makes up for in hard-won insight. ”I dislike the idea of ‘wasted time’ and the term ‘failed relationship’ because these attitudes define success as getting married and staying together forever,” Doll muses after cracks in her own romance come to the fore at a fete. ”Each relationship experienced leads to the next.” Advice anyone seated at the singles table can take to heart. B+
Save the DateDon't let a bubble-gum-hued book jacket littered with ashy cigarette butts, an upended wine glass, and smeared wedding cake (not to mention the cover line...Save the DateNonfictionJen DollDon't let a bubble-gum-hued book jacket littered with ashy cigarette butts, an upended wine glass, and smeared wedding cake (not to mention the cover line...2014-05-30Riverhead
SAVE THE DATE Jen Doll
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Jen Doll; Publisher: Riverhead
Posted May 30 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'American Idol' guest mentor Boy George picks the frontrunners of the Top 9
- Sherlock creator: Making U.S. fans wait longer is 'bloody nonsense'
- Marvel changes the Avengers lineup, adding Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!