The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the third and final Leone/Eastwood collaboration. That bigger-budgeted prequel reunited Eastwood with his Few Dollars costar Lee Van Cleef and welcomed Eli Wallach for a three-hour epic about buried Civil War gold that ends in a classic Mexican standoff. Quentin Tarantino has called it ”the best-directed film of all time,” and from Reservoir Dogs to Django Unchained, you can see Leone’s influence, like a coating of dust, on Tarantino’s entire oeuvre. Of the three films, Fistful is the purest — in both style and story — and Ugly is the most indulgent. Fortunately, though, Ugly is now beautiful. The film has been remastered for Blu-ray, and the sheer heat of the barren country pulsates off the screen. There’s no need to upgrade if you already have the 2010 trilogy collection, which includes the same extras, but this is the best Eastwood collection yet. A
Genre: Western; Starring: Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach; Director: Sergio Leone; Runtime (in minutes): 161; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!