The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the third and final Leone/Eastwood collaboration. That bigger-budgeted prequel reunited Eastwood with his Few Dollars costar Lee Van Cleef and welcomed Eli Wallach for a three-hour epic about buried Civil War gold that ends in a classic Mexican standoff. Quentin Tarantino has called it ”the best-directed film of all time,” and from Reservoir Dogs to Django Unchained, you can see Leone’s influence, like a coating of dust, on Tarantino’s entire oeuvre. Of the three films, Fistful is the purest — in both style and story — and Ugly is the most indulgent. Fortunately, though, Ugly is now beautiful. The film has been remastered for Blu-ray, and the sheer heat of the barren country pulsates off the screen. There’s no need to upgrade if you already have the 2010 trilogy collection, which includes the same extras, but this is the best Eastwood collection yet. A
Genre: Western; Starring: Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach; Director: Sergio Leone; Runtime (in minutes): 161; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted June 6 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday