This debut novel so fully envelops the reader in the soul of an Indian-American immigrant family that it’s heart-wrenching to part with them. The plot itself is straightforward: When her father falls ill, Amina Eapen goes home to see him and becomes immersed, once again, in her family’s various grievances and disagreements. A few conflicts flirt with cliché — her mother’s unhappiness with Amina’s lack of suitors, especially Indian ones; the arguments that arise among the histrionic cast of fellow Indians who form the Eapens’ American family. But thanks to Jacob’s captivating voice, which is by turns hilarious and tender and always attuned to shifts of emotion, her characters shimmer with life. A-
The Sleepwalker's Guide To DancingThis debut novel so fully envelops the reader in the soul of an Indian-American immigrant family that it's heart-wrenching to part with them. The plot...The Sleepwalker's Guide To DancingFictionMira JacobThis debut novel so fully envelops the reader in the soul of an Indian-American immigrant family that it's heart-wrenching to part with them. The plot...2014-07-04Random House
THE SLEEPWALKER'S GUIDE TO DANCING Mira Jacob
Genre: Fiction; Author: Mira Jacob; Publisher: Random House
Posted July 4 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- 'DWTS' is bringing back Maksim Chmerkovskiy: source
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...