Leave it to Matthew Vaughn — director of the genre-bending superhero indie Kick-Ass — to envision Colin Firth as a deadly secret agent skilled in lethal combat. Even Firth was surprised. ”Matthew told me, ‘One of the reasons I’m casting you is because you’re probably the last person anyone could imagine fighting off the villains,”’ says the actor, who costars with Michael Caine and a nefarious Samuel L. Jackson. In the thriller, Firth’s spy must groom a rebellious teen (Taron Egerton) into an intelligence operative worthy of the Queen’s service. ”Anyone who’s a Colin Firth fan won’t be able to believe what they’re seeing,” Vaughn explains. ”At the beginning it’s Mr. Darcy, but Mr. Darcy has to save the world this time.”
Posted July 18 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- Vanessa Bayer shares backstage photos of Jennifer Aniston on 'SNL'
- Box office: 'Moana' tops for second week, Disney sets industry record
- Marvel's 'Luke Cage' renewed for season 2
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big