It’s a tired cliché to call a place a character, but in Tiphanie Yanique’s gorgeous debut, Saint Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands makes for a textured and fascinating protagonist. At the beginning of the novel, in the early 20th century, the island is in flux as it goes from Danish to American ownership. At the same time, sisters Eeona and Anette find their fortunes changing drastically when their father, Capt. Owen Arthur Bradshaw, who’s something of a local legend, drowns in a shipwreck. The untouchably beautiful Eeona and the earthy but equally seductive Anette must evolve and fend for themselves as Saint Thomas becomes a tourist hot spot and their dead father’s secrets continue to haunt them at every turn — as we’re often reminded, it’s a small island. Yanique’s many artful touches — switched perspectives, deeply idiomatic dialogue, island folklore, strokes of magical realism — are so arresting that it’s easy to overlook the mastery involved in intertwining the history of a place and the lives of two unforgettable women. A-
Land of Love and DrowningIt's a tired cliché to call a place a character, but in Tiphanie Yanique's gorgeous debut, Saint Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands makes for a...Land of Love and DrowningFictionTiphanie YaniqueIt's a tired cliché to call a place a character, but in Tiphanie Yanique's gorgeous debut, Saint Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands makes for a...2014-07-19Riverhead Hardcover
LAND OF LOVE AND DROWNING Tiphanie Yanique
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tiphanie Yanique; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted July 19 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!