It’s a tired cliché to call a place a character, but in Tiphanie Yanique’s gorgeous debut, Saint Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands makes for a textured and fascinating protagonist. At the beginning of the novel, in the early 20th century, the island is in flux as it goes from Danish to American ownership. At the same time, sisters Eeona and Anette find their fortunes changing drastically when their father, Capt. Owen Arthur Bradshaw, who’s something of a local legend, drowns in a shipwreck. The untouchably beautiful Eeona and the earthy but equally seductive Anette must evolve and fend for themselves as Saint Thomas becomes a tourist hot spot and their dead father’s secrets continue to haunt them at every turn — as we’re often reminded, it’s a small island. Yanique’s many artful touches — switched perspectives, deeply idiomatic dialogue, island folklore, strokes of magical realism — are so arresting that it’s easy to overlook the mastery involved in intertwining the history of a place and the lives of two unforgettable women. A-
Land of Love and DrowningIt's a tired cliché to call a place a character, but in Tiphanie Yanique's gorgeous debut, Saint Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands makes for a...Land of Love and DrowningFictionTiphanie YaniqueIt's a tired cliché to call a place a character, but in Tiphanie Yanique's gorgeous debut, Saint Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands makes for a...2014-07-19Riverhead Hardcover
LAND OF LOVE AND DROWNING Tiphanie Yanique
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tiphanie Yanique; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- New 'Fantastic Four' trailer has hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!