Sure, Pixar’s Cars franchise and its aviation spin-off, Planes, are perhaps less stimulating to adults than Toy Story or WALL?E. But it doesn’t take much imagination to realize that to lots of 6-year-olds, Planes: Fire & Rescue is pretty much the coolest movie ever. Talking aircraft and aerial fire-fighting? Come on. At the beginning of this sequel to last year’s Planes, Dusty (voiced by Dane Cook), the crop duster-turned-air-racing celebrity, learns his gearbox is damaged and the replacement parts he needs to keep up his high-speed showmanship may not exist. For a career change, he joins a forest-fire rescue team, which includes battle-battered veteran Blade Ranger (Ed Harris), spiritual heavy-duty copter Windlifter (Wes Studi), and air tanker Lil’ Dipper (Julie Bowen). Despite somewhat of a direct-to-DVD plot, the perilous and elaborate rescue scenes are certainly big-screen-worthy. Canny references to ’70s television and some genuinely funny moments will give grown-ups enough fuel to cross the finish line. B
PLANES: FIRE & RESCUE Blade Ranger, Dipper, Dusty, and Windlifter (Disney)
Genre: Animation; Starring: Julie Bowen, Dane Cook, Ed Harris; Director: Bobs Gannaway; Release Date Wide: 07/18/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted July 24 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Brad, Lea & Darren, Paul and More!