Nigerian musician Fela Kuti passed away in 1997 in relative obscurity, but the father of Afrobeat rose in fame posthumously thanks largely to Fela!, a biographical Broadway musical that premiered in 2009. Directed by Alex Gibney (Taxi to the Dark Side), Finding Fela alternates between behind-the-scenes stories about Fela!’s development and a more general talking-head biography of Fela. Neither track goes deep enough to get a complete picture. And the abundance of his funky, inspirational music included in the film becomes numbing — an unfortunate result for such a complicated, passionate pop figure. C
FINDING FELA Fela Anikulapo Kuti (Francis Kertekian/Rikki Stein)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Fela Kuti, Femi Kuti; Director: Alex Gibney; Runtime (in minutes): 119
Posted August 1 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'