The zombie genre may seem like it’s been picked clean, but Carey, a comics writer with a number of critically acclaimed X-Men titles to his name, has found some meat left on its bones. The Girl With All the Gifts imagines a world where a zombie apocalypse has occurred and humans have unequivocally lost. They’re confined to a small number of isolated enclaves and are gradually exhausting their remaining reserves, while ”hungries” — victims of a version of the Ophiocordyceps fungi, which in real life infects Amazonian ants and creepily hijacks their nervous systems — have free run of the rest of the planet. One of the few chances humans have of rebounding lies in a group of children who have been infected but have retained their sentience despite their cannibalistic urges. One child, a precocious genius named Melanie, ends up in the ravaged British countryside with her beloved teacher, a couple of soldiers, and a ruthless scientist who’s using the kids to unlock a cure to the plague — which often means vivisecting them. As they trek across England, bound for a fortress-like redoubt where society clings to life, the troupe encounters a laundry list of standard-issue zombie-story hazards — from swarming mobs of hungries to hostile humans who’ve embraced postcataclysmic barbarism — but manages to dodge clichés at every turn. The character at the story’s heart may have no pulse, but Melanie is empathetic and sympathetic, and her deeply tragic existence is proof that zombie tales can elicit an emotion other than fear. B+
The Girl With All the GiftsThe zombie genre may seem like it's been picked clean, but Carey, a comics writer with a number of critically acclaimed X-Men titles to his name,...The Girl With All the GiftsFictionM.R. CareyThe zombie genre may seem like it's been picked clean, but Carey, a comics writer with a number of critically acclaimed X-Men titles to his name,...2014-08-07Orbit
THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS M. R. Carey
Genre: Fiction; Author: M.R. Carey; Publisher: Orbit
Posted August 7 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Chris Messina in talks to join Ben Affleck's Live By Night
- Minions clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!