Gugu Mbatha-Raw felt more comfortable in her corsets for the colonial drama Belle than with the artificial nails she put on to play a pop star in writer-director Gina Prince-Bythewood’s Beyond the Lights. ”I broke so many nails — they were always lying all over the place,” she recalls, laughing. But starring as Noni — a songstress torn between her calculating momager (Minnie Driver) and her attraction to a sweet security guard (Nate Parker) — required more than multiple trips to the manicurist. The British actress spent hours in the recording studio (”I sing on every track,” she says), learned numerous dance routines, and even took notes backstage at the 2012 Grammy Awards.
BEYOND THE LIGHTS Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Suzanne Tenner)
Posted August 15 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Glee' cast reunites for Becca Tobin's wedding in sweet photos
- Emma Stone leads a very bad theatre showcase in 'SNL' sketch
- 'SNL' and Emma Stone give Christmas candles a holiday theme song
- 'Saturday Night Live' searches for Hillary Clinton in the woods
- Jennifer Aniston confronts Vanessa Bayer over Rachel impression
- Donald Trump slams 'SNL' for sketch about his tweets
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big