Little Orphan Annie has a lot of fans. So director Will Gluck (Friends With Benefits) knows he has to justify his reimagining of the 1977 Broadway musical. ”The first question is ‘Why Annie?”’ he says. His reply? ”It’s a timeless story of people trying to find a family.” As Annie, Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild) is a modern-day foster kid living in NYC with her mutt, Sandy, when she meets cell-phone magnate and mayoral candidate William Stacks (Jamie Foxx). Cameron Diaz plays Miss Hannigan, Annie’s jaded tether to the hard-knock life. And though the score includes new songs by indie favorite Sia, Gluck promises that the melody and lyrics of ”Tomorrow” remain untouched.
ANNIE Jamie Foxx and Quvenzhané Wallis (Barry Wetcher)
Posted August 24 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!