Gugu Mbatha-Raw felt more comfortable in her corsets for the colonial drama Belle than with the artificial nails she put on to play a pop star in writer-director Gina Prince-Bythewood’s Beyond the Lights. ”I broke so many nails—they were always lying all over the place,” she recalls, laughing. But starring as Noni—a songstress torn between her calculating momager (Minnie Driver) and her attraction to a sweet security guard (Nate Parker)—required more than multiple trips to the manicurist. The British actress spent hours in the recording studio (”I sing on every track,” she says), learned numerous dance routines, and even took notes backstage at the 2012 Grammy Awards.
Gugu Mbatha-Raw in Beyond the Lights (Suzanne Tenner)
Posted August 24 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Emmys secret ballot: How will Hollywood vote?
- This is what stars looked like at their first VMAs
- Prince talks about his 'experimental' new record 'HITNRUN'
- Carrie Brownstein assembles celeb squad for her book tour
- Meet Jon Rudnitsky, the newest 'SNL' cast member
- The Democratic Party approves of Kanye West's presidential run
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!