Gugu Mbatha-Raw felt more comfortable in her corsets for the colonial drama Belle than with the artificial nails she put on to play a pop star in writer-director Gina Prince-Bythewood’s Beyond the Lights. ”I broke so many nails—they were always lying all over the place,” she recalls, laughing. But starring as Noni—a songstress torn between her calculating momager (Minnie Driver) and her attraction to a sweet security guard (Nate Parker)—required more than multiple trips to the manicurist. The British actress spent hours in the recording studio (”I sing on every track,” she says), learned numerous dance routines, and even took notes backstage at the 2012 Grammy Awards.
Gugu Mbatha-Raw in Beyond the Lights (Suzanne Tenner)
Posted August 24 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Beatlemania revisited in Ron Howard's new 'Eight Days a Week' trailer
- Dee Snider releases politically charged 'We're Not Gonna Take It' acoustic video
- Michael Che and Colin Jost hand out free Trump water at DNC
- Stephen Colbert recruits John Oliver for DNC 'Fight Song' parody
- Stephen Colbert retires alter ego, introduces 'identical twin cousin'
- Cara Delevingne pranked Kesha, Haim at Taylor Swift's July 4 party
- Adele invites Adele drag impersonator on stage
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos