Gugu Mbatha-Raw felt more comfortable in her corsets for the colonial drama Belle than with the artificial nails she put on to play a pop star in writer-director Gina Prince-Bythewood’s Beyond the Lights. ”I broke so many nails—they were always lying all over the place,” she recalls, laughing. But starring as Noni—a songstress torn between her calculating momager (Minnie Driver) and her attraction to a sweet security guard (Nate Parker)—required more than multiple trips to the manicurist. The British actress spent hours in the recording studio (”I sing on every track,” she says), learned numerous dance routines, and even took notes backstage at the 2012 Grammy Awards.
Gugu Mbatha-Raw in Beyond the Lights (Suzanne Tenner)
Posted August 24 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The View' gets new theme song: Mary J. Blige's 'World's Gone Crazy'
- 'The Walking Dead': Jeffrey Dean Morgan had no idea about cliffhanger
- Nick Offerman previews 'Good Clean Fun' and announces tour
- Diana Gordon makes powerful TV debut on 'Colbert'
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead recalls Michael Moore sex scene on 'BrainDead'
- 'Rings' trailer brings Samara back for more scares
- Stephen Colbert helps Rami Malek make his first Instagram post
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your limited series/drama nominees are...