Director Mike Leigh’s movie follows the last 25 years of the prolific early-19th-century British seascape painter J.M.W. Turner (Timothy Spall), when he courts a lover, rejects another, and helps lay the foundations for impressionism. Before playing the role, Spall spent two years brushing up on his painting skills. ”I came to the conclusion that by the end of it, I could paint as well as Turner could when he was about 8,” says Spall, who’s probably best known as Peter Pettigrew in the Harry Potter series. ”He wasn’t half bad when he was 8.” Though he couldn’t quite match Turner’s artistry on canvas, Spall did win the best-actor prize at this year’s Cannes Film Festival for his portrait of the artist.
MR. TURNER Timothy Spall (Simon Mein)
Posted August 24 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford's 'Truth' gets October release date
- Salma Hayek on Donald Trump: 'I cannot be insulted by stupidity'
- Learn the story behind National Lampoon in 'Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead' trailer
- 'This Is Me': Watch the Emmy-nominated docuseries right here
- Alicia Keys returns with '28 Thousand Days'
- Jon Stewart reveals his final three 'Daily Show' guests
- 'Key & Peele' have a very 'awkward' conversation about pop-culture opinions
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!