There have been good Elmore Leonard adaptations and bad ones. But this interpretation of his 1978 novel The Switch may be the worst of the bunch. yasiin bey (a.k.a. Mos Def) and John Hawkes play small-time crooks who kidnap a rich Detroit housewife (Jennifer Aniston) and put the squeeze on her no-good husband (Tim Robbins) for $1 million. They’re inept, but not nearly as inept as Daniel Schecter’s lifeless script and direction. In fact, the only mystery in this limp caper is why Aniston took such a meh role. At least the kitschy, ’70s-era details provide some distraction. (Also on VOD) C-
Jennifer Aniston in Life of Crime (Barry Wetcher)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Isla Fisher, Will Forte, Tim Robbins; Director: Daniel Schechter; Release Date Limited: 08/29/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lionsgate, Roadside Attractions
Posted September 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Marvel's 'Black Panther' has found another villain
- Brad Pitt takes voluntary drug test for DCFS investigation
- 'Blindspot': Can Jane trust Roman?
- Rob Lowe took over our Instagram story to tour the 'Code Black' set
- Miley Cyrus guest hosts 'Ellen' for sick Ellen DeGeneres
- Mel Gibson in talks for spy movie 'Every Other Weekend'
- 'How to Get Away with Murder': Who's the culprit behind the posters?