There have been good Elmore Leonard adaptations and bad ones. But this interpretation of his 1978 novel The Switch may be the worst of the bunch. yasiin bey (a.k.a. Mos Def) and John Hawkes play small-time crooks who kidnap a rich Detroit housewife (Jennifer Aniston) and put the squeeze on her no-good husband (Tim Robbins) for $1 million. They’re inept, but not nearly as inept as Daniel Schecter’s lifeless script and direction. In fact, the only mystery in this limp caper is why Aniston took such a meh role. At least the kitschy, ’70s-era details provide some distraction. (Also on VOD) C-
Jennifer Aniston in Life of Crime (Barry Wetcher)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Isla Fisher, Will Forte, Tim Robbins; Director: Daniel Schechter; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lionsgate, Roadside Attractions
Posted September 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!