There have been good Elmore Leonard adaptations and bad ones. But this interpretation of his 1978 novel The Switch may be the worst of the bunch. yasiin bey (a.k.a. Mos Def) and John Hawkes play small-time crooks who kidnap a rich Detroit housewife (Jennifer Aniston) and put the squeeze on her no-good husband (Tim Robbins) for $1 million. They’re inept, but not nearly as inept as Daniel Schecter’s lifeless script and direction. In fact, the only mystery in this limp caper is why Aniston took such a meh role. At least the kitschy, ’70s-era details provide some distraction. (Also on VOD) C-
Jennifer Aniston in Life of Crime (Barry Wetcher)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Isla Fisher, Will Forte, Tim Robbins; Director: Daniel Schechter; Release Date Limited: 08/29/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lionsgate, Roadside Attractions
Posted September 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- First Look: Lucy Lane on 'Supergirl'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!