The weekend after Labor Day has the dubious distinction of being the lowest grossing period of the year. No one in the industry expects anything notable from these three days. The fact that The Identical, a barely on the radar faith-based musical drama about an Elvis-like figure, is the single new wide opener (on pace for a 10th place showing with a $534K Friday) is only further proof that everyone—even moviegoers it seems—is taking the weekend off.
But, this barren landscape gives way for audiences to catch up with a few familiar titles, and, as expected, Guardians of the Galaxy will claim the top spot on the charts for the third weekend in a row. With an estimated $2.71 million Friday, the Marvel heroes are on their way to an $8 or $9 million weekend, which will bring the domestic total north of $290 million. The rest of Friday’s top five, all holdovers including If I Stay, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Let’s Be Cops, and The November Man, will all net out around or under $5 million this weekend.
Here are the top five:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy — $2.71 million ($287.1 million domestic total)
2. If I Stay — $1.61 million ($35.5 million domestic total)
3. Let’s Be Cops — $1.55 million ($62.75 million domestic total)
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles — $1.5 million (169.7 million domestic total)
5. The November Man — $1.24 million ($14.9 million domestic total)
Check back in tomorrow for weekend estimates.