There’s plenty of body horror going on in L.A.’s cosmetic-surgery wards, but David Cronenberg’s latest film is more concerned with the city’s mentally disfigured. Julianne Moore stars as a monstrous fading star who makes Norma Desmond and Baby Jane look rational, while Robert Pattinson, John Cusack, and Mia Wasikowska round out a cast of showbiz grotesques. For a proud Canadian like Cronenberg, Hollywood can pose a philosophical quandary. ”There, it’s not enough to physically exist,” says the director, who debuted the film at May’s Cannes Film Festival. ”You need a career, otherwise you can die a pre-death.” Is any phrase more fraught than ”You’re a nobody”?
MAPS TO THE STARS Robert Pattinson (Dan McFadden)
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Casting Net: 'TMNT 2' adds Brian Tee as bad guy Shredder
- 'Osbournes' won't reboot at VH1
- 'Chicago Fire/PD,' 'SVU' bosses on fatal crossover event
- Viola Davis will play Harriet Tubman in HBO movie
- Indie director Adam Wingard to tackle 'Death Note'
- Behold, Joe Manganiello's 'Magic Mike XXL' poster revealed
- Hailee Steinfeld cast to star in 'Break My Heart 1,000 Times' film adaptation