There’s plenty of body horror going on in L.A.’s cosmetic-surgery wards, but David Cronenberg’s latest film is more concerned with the city’s mentally disfigured. Julianne Moore stars as a monstrous fading star who makes Norma Desmond and Baby Jane look rational, while Robert Pattinson, John Cusack, and Mia Wasikowska round out a cast of showbiz grotesques. For a proud Canadian like Cronenberg, Hollywood can pose a philosophical quandary. ”There, it’s not enough to physically exist,” says the director, who debuted the film at May’s Cannes Film Festival. ”You need a career, otherwise you can die a pre-death.” Is any phrase more fraught than ”You’re a nobody”?
MAPS TO THE STARS Robert Pattinson (Dan McFadden)
Posted September 24 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel