There’s plenty of body horror going on in L.A.’s cosmetic-surgery wards, but David Cronenberg’s latest film is more concerned with the city’s mentally disfigured. Julianne Moore stars as a monstrous fading star who makes Norma Desmond and Baby Jane look rational, while Robert Pattinson, John Cusack, and Mia Wasikowska round out a cast of showbiz grotesques. For a proud Canadian like Cronenberg, Hollywood can pose a philosophical quandary. ”There, it’s not enough to physically exist,” says the director, who debuted the film at May’s Cannes Film Festival. ”You need a career, otherwise you can die a pre-death.” Is any phrase more fraught than ”You’re a nobody”?
MAPS TO THE STARS Robert Pattinson (Dan McFadden)
Posted September 24 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Grey's Anatomy' stars on Callie vs. Arizona custody battle
- Pharrell is getting his own action figure
- 'Star Wars' droids R2-D2 and C-3PO gave EW staffers a hilarious surprise
- Jon M. Chu in talks to direct adaptation of 'Crazy Rich Asians'
- 'SNL' taps Drake, Fred Armisen as season's final hosts
- Aly & AJ confirm they are making new music
- 'Scandal': Who will win the election? Our results are in...