This may not be the simply told tale you remember from all those childhood bedtime readings, but in expanding and modernizing Judith Viorst’s 1972 classic, Disney and director Miguel Arteta have fashioned a sweet, wholesome story about an awkward 11-year-old who endures a rotten 24 hours. Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner anchor the swiftly plotted movie as the (mostly) calm-under-pressure parents of Alexander (newcomer Ed Oxenbould). The grown-ups are just trying to temper the storms that hit their six-person clan, which also includes a baby, a too-cool teen (Dylan Minnette), and an eager theater kid (Kerris Dorsey, excellent). Whether it’s a diaperless tot succumbing to nature’s will, a bratty girlfriend, a disastrous driver’s test, or a calamitous job interview, each extreme situation is handled with deft slapstick timing and surprisingly relatable humanity. Alexander is pleasantly devoid of the vulgarity and too-current pop culture references that are the default mode for many contemporary live-action kids’ pics, and its earnest celebration of family gives the movie a comforting throwback vibe. Like the source material, this is one terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day that families just might find themselves revisiting often. B
ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY Steve Carell (Dale Robinette)
Genre: Kids and Family; Starring: Steve Carell, Jennifer Garner; Director: Miguel Arteta; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2014; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted October 10 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!