Bill Cosby will not address the resurgence of “decade-old, discredited” allegations that he raped multiple women, his lawyer said on Sunday.
In a statement on the comedian’s website, John P. Schmitt said: “Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced. The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.”
Cosby’s scheduled Nov. 19 appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman was canceled on Friday, but neither Cosby’s representative nor a publicist for the show gave a reason at the time. Cosby was also slated to be a guest on The Queen Latifah Show on Oct. 30, but that spot was canceled as well.
Cosby and his wife, Camille, participated in an interview that aired yesterday on NPR’s Weekend Edition about loaning works of art to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African Art. Host Scott Simon offered him a chance to respond to the allegations several times, but Cosby remained silent.
After a standup gig last month in which Hannibal Buress called Cosby a “rapist” went viral, one of his accusers, Barbara Bowman, penned a column in Friday’s edition of The Washington Post under the headline: “Bill Cosby raped me. Why did it take 30 years for people to believe my story?”
Cosby has never faced any criminal charges. He settled a civil suit with a different accuser, Andrea Constand, in 2006.
Earlier this year, Cosby signed a deal with NBC to star in a new comedy. His hit family comedy, The Cosby Show, aired on the network from 1984 to 1992.