The star of bubbly hits Legally Blonde and Sweet Home Alabama doesn’t seem like the obvious choice to play a grieving, heroin-shooting, sexually promiscuous woman who treks 1,000-plus miles by herself across the American Northwest. But Reese Witherspoon was captivated by Cheryl Strayed’s 2012 memoir, Wild, which details the author’s grueling, transformative hike on the Pacific Crest Trail after the death of her mother. Optioning Strayed’s book with her own money and developing the project independently, Witherspoon and director Jean-Marc Vallée worked from a script by novelist Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, About a Boy) during a tight 35 days on location in Oregon and California. ”It’s the hardest film I’ve ever made on many different levels: emotionally, physically,” Witherspoon says. ”Honestly, nothing prepares you for carrying a 40-pound backpack up and down mountains and snow.” Given the Oscar buzz that Wild is generating, she could be adding another 8.5 pounds to that backpack in 2015.
WILD Reese Witherspoon (Anne Marie Fox)
Posted November 26 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!