”He’s one of the most fascinating characters I’ve ever studied,” says Christian Bale of Moses, the Old Testament prophet he plays in Exodus: Gods and Kings. ”All of his trials, his troubled life and his doubts, his rages and his extremes.” Exodus aims to present a more rounded portrait of the man many know only from Sunday school. That process began with director Ridley Scott. ”As a filmmaker I’m always attracted by who the central character is and what they face,” says Scott, who calls Moses’ life one of the greatest adventures and spiritual experiences of all time. ”I was knocked out by who he was…and the actual basics of the story.” Scott also knew that Bale, with whom he was friendly but had never worked, would be perfect for the role. Says the director, ”I wanted to save something special for him.”
Christian Bale in Exodus: Gods and Kings (Kerry Brown)
Posted December 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- Andrew Garfield compares making 'Spider-Man' movies to 'canning Coke'
- 'Under the Dome' will end this season
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Gotham' sneak peek: Barbara and Jerome cross paths in Arkham
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!