”He’s one of the most fascinating characters I’ve ever studied,” says Christian Bale of Moses, the Old Testament prophet he plays in Exodus: Gods and Kings. ”All of his trials, his troubled life and his doubts, his rages and his extremes.” Exodus aims to present a more rounded portrait of the man many know only from Sunday school. That process began with director Ridley Scott. ”As a filmmaker I’m always attracted by who the central character is and what they face,” says Scott, who calls Moses’ life one of the greatest adventures and spiritual experiences of all time. ”I was knocked out by who he was…and the actual basics of the story.” Scott also knew that Bale, with whom he was friendly but had never worked, would be perfect for the role. Says the director, ”I wanted to save something special for him.”
Christian Bale in Exodus: Gods and Kings (Kerry Brown)
Posted December 3 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- Valerie Harper gives update after health scare
- See Bill Nye read mean tweets about himself
- 'Days of Our Lives' exclusive: 50th anniversary to feature a killer twist
- Cara Delevingne laughs off that awkward 'Paper Towns' interview on Instagram
- Bruce Springsteen was the surprise guest at U2's latest concert
- What are the critics saying about 'Rogue Nation'?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!