Stormtroopers and the Millennium Falcon have eclipsed the hype for Ultron and killer dinosaurs—so claims Fandango’s annual survey of the most-anticipated films for the coming year.
The ticket service says Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the most eagerly awaited movie of 2015 even though it doesn’t open until next December. In second place was the return of Marvel’s all-star team in The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Ranking third is the conclusion of The Hunger Games franchise with Mockingjay – Part 2. In fourth place was the only non-sequel to make the list: Fifty Shades of Grey, which of course is still a widely known format as it’s based on the bestselling erotic novels. The reboot of the Jurassic Park franchise, Jurassic World, was No. 5.
Fandango chief correspondent (and former EW senior writer) Dave Karger said, “It’s been a decade since the last installment of the most beloved sci-fi fantasy franchise of all time, and kids of all ages are eagerly anticipating the revitalization of the series next December.”
Notably failing to crack the top of the chart: Tom Cruise’s Mission Impossible 5, James Bond’s newest Spectre, Furious 7 and the Mad Max reboot Fury Road (which has a particularly bananas trailer). The survey was based on 1,000 polled fans from from Dec. 22 through Dec. 29.
But of course, December surveys cannot predict future turnout. Last year, Mockingjay – Part 1 was the survey’s No. 1 pick for 2014, yet it was Guardians of the Galaxy—which didn’t even crack Fandango’s Top 5—that ended up leading the box office chart. Likewise, the most-anticipated list included Divergent and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, neither of which ended up cracking the Top 8 among domestic ticket sales.
Here are the trailers for four of the top 5 films (Mockingjay – Part 2 is not out yet), followed by more results from Fandango’s survey:
Fan Favorite Actress in 2015 Movies:
1. Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2)
2. Scarlett Johansson (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
3. Angelina Jolie (By the Sea)
4. Melissa McCarthy (Spy)
5. Halle Berry (Kidnap)
Fan Favorite Actor in 2015 Movies:
1. Robert Downey Jr. (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
2. Chris Hemsworth (Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Blackhat,” and “In the Heart of the Sea)
3. Daniel Craig (Spectre)
4. Chris Pratt (Jurassic World)
5. Tom Cruise (Mission Impossible 5)
Biggest Male Breakout Movie Star, 2015:
1. Jamie Dornan (Fifty Shades of Grey)
2. John Boyega (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
3. Levi Miller (Pan)
4. Neel Sethi (The Jungle Book)
5. Tony Jaa (Furious 7)
Biggest Female Breakout Movie Star, 2015:
1. Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
2. Lily James (Cinderella,” Pride and Prejudice and Zombies)
3. Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Grey, A Bigger Splash)
4. Kate Mara (The Fantastic Four, The Martian)
5. Sofia Boutella (Kingsman: The Secret Service)
Most Anticipated Family Film of 2015:
3. Pixar’s Inside Out