Jeremy Gilbert will officially say goodbye to Mystic Falls.
The Vampire Diaries executive producer Julie Plec reveals to EW that Steven R. McQueen will no longer be a series regular as of episode 14. Though Jeremy has left town before—and even died at one point—he really is leaving this time.
“It’s time for him to go out and live his life and we’re actually going to say goodbye to Steven R. McQueen as a series regular,” Plec says. “He’s growing up and moving on. He will be out living a real life.”
The catalyst for Jeremy’s story coming to a close springs from the show nearing its conclusion. “We’re in the third act of our storytelling of the show,” Plec says. “Everything that we’re doing is moving towards the end. Over the course of the next few years, we will need to start having the characters make choices about what they want with their lives and say goodbye to some people. It’s all part of moving toward the end, however long that takes.”
Still, there is a chance we could see him on the show again. “He could show up at weddings, funerals and series finales for sure, but this journey is taking him to another place.”
– ‘Vampire Diaries’ showrunner cried when she realized the ‘perfect ending’ for the series
– ‘Arrow’: Black Canary steps up now that Oliver has ‘fallen’
– ‘The Flash’: Wells confirmed as Reverse Flash… but are there more?
– How ‘iZombie’ differs from ‘Veronica Mars’ (aside from the fact she’s dead)
– The CW renews 8 shows for next season
– The CW considering another ‘Arrow,’ ‘Flash’ spin-off: What should it be?
– CW midseason dates: ‘Supernatural’ on the move again