It’s that time of year again. The time when you fill your glass with the beverage of your choosing before sitting down for a long night of drinking—er, watching the Oscars.
To make the always-lengthy ceremony more enjoyable, grab a beer (or several) and follow along with our drinking game—beginning when the pre-show kicks off at 7 p.m. on Sunday.
Take a sip when:
- Anyone does a musical number.
- Someone makes a joke confusing and/or combining The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game.
- A winner gets played off by the orchestra.
- Someone says “spoiler alert.”
- Someone cracks a 50 Shades of Grey joke.
- Someone brings up The Interview.
Take a couple sips when:
- Someone addresses the lack of diversity in films and nominees.
- Lupita Nyongo’s glasses make an appearance.
- Wes Anderson says something quirky.
- Someone cries.
- Someone references Adele Dazeem (or someone pulls an Adele Dazeem themselves).
- Matthew McConaughey speaks.
Take a few sips when:
- A winner acknowledges the ticking clock during a speech.
- President Obama video chats in á la the Grammys.
- Someone gets censored.
- Someone trips.
- Benedict Cumberbatch photobombs someone.
- “Hero,” the song from Boyhood, comes on and you tear up a bit.
- Someone references Dick Poop—you know, the Oscar-nominated cinematographer (whose real name is, fortunately, Dick Pope).
Finish your drink when:
- Patricia Arquette reads her speech off a piece of paper.
- A winner makes a political statement during his or her acceptance speech.
- Someone makes a Selma snub joke. (Feel free to raise your fist in protest while chugging for this one.)
- American Sniper wins Best Picture.