The Divergent Series: Insurgent is just behind its predecessor in its opening weekend.
Posted March 21 2015 — 1:27 PM EDT
The Shailene Woodley-starring sequel took in an estimated $21.3 million on Friday. The dystopian trilogy’s first installment, 2014’s Divergent, opened to a slightly higher $22.8 million on the exact same weekend last year. Divergent closed out with $54.6 in its opening weekend, and Insurgent is currently projected to make $50 million according to forecasters at Box Office Mojo.
Meanwhile, in fairytale land, Cinderella fell 59% in its second weekend to an estimated $9.53 million. Sean Penn thriller The Gunman claimed third place, opening to a very disappointing $1.77 million. Run All Night followed with $1.4 million, a 64% drop, and Kingsman: The Secret Service rounded out the top five with $1.28 million.
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony
- 'Silence' reviews: Martin Scorsese's grand epic becomes dull roar
- 'GOTG 2' director James Gunn says Baby Groot isn't a marketing ploy
- Tim Miller on his 'Deadpool 2' exit: 'Don't believe what you read'
- Carrie Fisher feels 'guilty' over publicity of Harrison Ford affair