With this sequel to Some Luck—her first installment in this planned trilogy—Smiley continues to unspool the story of an American century, one chapter per year, seen through the lens of the Langdon family. Early Warning begins in 1953, and its pages take us into the early ’80s. The family has multiplied and migrated from its home base of Iowa, and maybe because we travel far and wide, this middle installment doesn’t have the same sharp focus as the first. But Smiley’s deft narrative hopping is as impressive as ever, and her prose—whether it be about a near miss with the Jonestown massacre or a favored son dying in Vietnam—is as eloquent and poignant as ever. Here’s to part 3. B+
Early WarningWith this sequel to Some Luck—her first installment in this planned trilogy—Smiley continues to unspool the story of an American...Early WarningNovelJane SmileyWith this sequel to Some Luck—her first installment in this planned trilogy—Smiley continues to unspool the story of an American...2015-05-01Knopf
'Early Warning' by Jane Smiley
Genre: Novel; Author: Jane Smiley; Publisher: Knopf
Posted May 1 2015 — 11:48 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': What's happened to Agent May?
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' star on Ghost Rider's surprising move
- Damian Lewis in talks to play the villain in 'Ocean's 8'
- 'Chicago Fire' creator breaks down episode 100's big surprises
- 'Suicide Squad' Honest Trailer takes aim at the 'worst heroes ever'
- Joe Biden clarifies 2020 presidential bid comments
- 'This Is Us': Chris Sullivan on that Toby cliffhanger in the winter finale
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans