Cannes director apologizes for high-heels controversy | EW.com

Movies

Cannes director apologizes for high-heels controversy

(Tristan Fewings/Getty Images)

Cannes Film Festival director Thierry Fremaux has issued an apology after some women were turned away from the premiere of Carol for not wearing high heels

“There was perhaps a small moment of over-zealousness,” Fremaux said, according to AFP.

Fremaux’s remarks on what was dubbed “flatgate” came in the wake of major social media attention and comments from Sicario’s Emily Blunt and Denis Villeneuve about the supposed dress code. (“I think everyone should wear flats, to be honest. We shouldn’t wear high heels anymore,” Blunt said. “That’s just my point of view. I prefer to wear Converse sneakers.”)

The had previously festival shot down any official high-heels rule in a statement that was issued on Tuesday. “Regarding the dress code for the red carpet screenings, rules have not changed throughout the years (tuxedo, formal dress for Gala screenings) and there is no specific mention about the height of the women’s heels as well as for men’s,” the statement read.

Earlier, Fremaux himself discounted the claims. “The rumor that the festival requires high heels for women on the steps is unfounded,” he wrote in tweet.