In support of Major Lazer’s just-released third album, Peace Is the Mission, Diplo (who also released an album with Skrillex under their Jack Ü moniker this year) and Walshy Fire participated in a Reddit AMA. Major Lazer’s third member, Jillionaire, did not partake.
The Mad Decent label head took questions about future and current projects and several inquiries about the ever-elusive Jai Paul. Here are our favorite nuggets.
- The group agrees that “Powerful” featuring Ellie Goulding is the song they put “the most heart in” on the new album.
- AlunaGeorge might/probably will be releasing a different version of “To Ü” on her album. When asked if fans would be getting their hands on an alternate version than what Jack Ü released earlier this year, Diplo responded: “yes, she has an alternative more chill version with the chords i wrote in london withe her and george produced it i think”
- Don’t expect a Jai Paul collaboration anytime soon. While Diplo asserted that he does know the exceptionally-hard-to-find British singer personally, he says that “hes gone missing” after Major Lazer worked on something for him.
- His favorite purveyor of Moombahton (a mix of house music and reggaeton) is the Dutch producer Munchi.
- Jack Ü and Major Lazer are collaborating and “THIS is gonna be a big one!”
- Major Lazer will also be working with Iggy Azalea, Benny Blanco, and Konshens.
- Diplo will be working with Jauz and Tinashe; it’s also “gonna be big.”
- Their favorite venue for Major Lazer shows is, unsurprisingly, at the Mad Decent Block Parties. (A full list of dates is available here.)
- You’ll see Diplo all over MØ’s next album. “we did about 5 records already and a new song for her called Kamikaze…its dope af,” he says of working with the Dutch pop singer.
The entire transcript can be found on Reddit.