Your day just got a little bit brighter because, drumroll please, it’s National Donut Day! In celebration, we take a look at some notable donut moments in pop culture.
1. When FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) wasn’t uncovering the mysteries of Twin Peaks, he was chowing down on donuts at the sheriff’s department. The perfect pairing with “some damn fine coffee.”
2. Blood spatter analyst Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) is killer in more ways than one—in addition to his bloody extracurriculars, he also brought donuts for the officers of Miami Metro P.D. everyday.
3. For seven seasons we watched Gilmore Girls’ Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Rory (Alexis Bledel) laugh, cry, and eat. Among the duo’s favorite sweet treats—cherry donuts from Luke’s Diner.
4. It may have been a throwaway line, but 30 Rock’s Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) taught us all the answer to the question what’s the tastiest thing in the world? “I don’t know, you ever put a donut in the microwave?”
5. You can’t talk about donuts without mentioning cops, so we salute the (countless) movies and TV shows that have America’s finest snacking on their favorite pastry: Con Air, The Mask, Wreck-It Ralph, Castle, and Murdoch Mysteries to name a few.
6. Not even Superheroes are immune to the deliciousness of donuts, as we saw in Iron Man 2. A metal-clad Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is scolded by Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) for sitting inside the donut-shaped sign of Randy’s Donuts—a shop with an extensive on-screen resume.
7. There is nobody (living, dead, or animated) who has ever loved donuts as much as Homer Simpson (Dan Castellaneta). Patriarch to The Simpsons’ clan, Homer has been indulging on the d’oh-y treat for 26 seasons with no end in sight.