The last great epic that Francis Ford Coppola directed was Bram Stoker’s Dracula in 1992. Gary Oldman played the creepy Count and Winona Ryder was the English beauty who fell under his spell. It was as much a romance as a horror film, but Coppola was mostly loyal to Stoker’s 1897 Gothic novel, and determined to make the film look and feel like an Old Hollywood monster movie, with practical, old-fashioned effects.
Take, for example, the Count’s shadow. In the film, Keanu Reeves’ lawyer travels to Dracula’s castle on business. When the nocturnal host appears, his shadow has a mind of its own, imitating its master’s motions only slightly and often revealing his true intentions. In an exclusive interview from a new Blu-ray, Coppola explains how a “shadow wrangler” mimed Oldman’s actions from watching on a video screen. Coppola chuckles a bit, since the shadow may have been expected to do a more precise job, but the effect of the imperfections added a surreal and warping chill to the character.
A new restored version of Coppola’s Dracula arrives on Blu-ray and Digital HD on Oct. 6. It’s the first of the Supreme Cinema Series, a new collection of “Clear Case” limited-edition discs from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
Coppola and his son, Roman, who was the film’s second unit/visual effects director, sat for new interviews, and Coppola penned a new introduction that is part of the 24-page book.
All-New Blu-ray Bonus Features Include:
* 4K Restoration & Dolby Atmos soundtrack (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible)*
* Reflections in Blood: Francis Ford Coppola and Bram Stoker’s Dracula
* Practical Magicians: A Collaboration Between Father and Son
* Rare 1993 Commentary with Francis Ford Coppola, Roman Coppola and Greg Cannom
* To experience Dolby Atmos at home, Dolby Atmos enabled AV receivers and additional speakers are required; however, Dolby Atmos soundtracks are fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment
* Deleted Scenes
* Audio Commentary & Film Introduction by Director Francis Ford Coppola
* 4 Legacy Featurettes
The acrylic “Clear Case” limited-edition collector’s packaging will only be available while supplies last.