- The new movie from comedian/director/writer Mike Birbiglia picked up Keegan-Michael Key, Gillian Jacobs, and Kate Micucci. Don’t Think Twice is a dramedy that focuses on an improv troupe that’s shaken when their home venue is jeopardized and one person breaks big. Filming sets off this week in New York. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Jason Mitchell rejoins fellow Straight Outta Compton star Corey Hawkins in Kong: Skull Island. Already starring Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, and Toby Kebbell, Mitchell will play a relaxed pilot. The plot of Jordan Vogt-Roberts‘ film sees a crew taken to the mystical island of the iconic giant gorilla. Shooting is slated for the end of October in Hawaii. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Mel Gibson‘s Hacksaw Ridge picks up Luke Bracey of the upcoming Point Break remake. Penned by Robert Schenkkan and Randall Wallace, the movie is about the first American conscientious objector, Desmond Doss, to win the Medal of Honor in World War II. With Andrew Garfield, Vince Vaughn, and Sam Worthington, Hacksaw is filming in Australia. [Deadline]
- Johnny Simmons, Brittany Snow, J.K. Simmons, and Jane Lynch are all in Kevin Pollak‘s directorial debut, Late Bloomer. The movie is based on the 2001 memoir by entertainment journalist Ken Baker, Man Made, that details how a pituitary tumor prohibited his reaching puberty. Johnny Simmons plays Pete Newmans, a man with the same condition as Baker. After surgery, his entire life outlook changes. Production is currently underway in Los Angeles. [The Wrap]
- Anthony Hayes has been added to Brad Pitt‘s Netflix project, War Machine, a semi-biographical comedy based on journalist Michael Hastings‘ book The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America’s War in Afghanistan. Pitt stars as the movie’s version of General Stanley McChrystal. Cohen will be a part of his squad. David Michôd writes and directs the project, scheduled to begin in fall. War Machine also features Topher Grace, Scoot McNairy, and Anthony Michael Hall. [Variety]
WANT MORE EW? Subscribe now to keep up with the latest in movies, television and music.